Woman posts "The Happy Song makes me so HAPPY.", dies seconds later.

Started by Syt, April 28, 2014, 08:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/04/facebooking-and-driving/361267/

QuoteThe Saddest Facebook Status

At 8:33 A.M. on Thursday, a 32-year-old woman driving to work in High Point, North Carolina, took out her phone and posted to Facebook:

QuoteThe Happy Song makes me so HAPPY.

At 8:34 A.M., police were notified of a crash.

In the moment she posted the message, the woman crossed over the median of Interstate 85 and collided with an oncoming recycling truck. She died.

71 percent of young Americans say they have written a message while driving. In 2012, an estimated 3,328 Americans died in crashes related to distracted driving.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Iormlund

Would have been much better if she had hit a pillar or something. Hopefully the dude at the truck is ok.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on April 28, 2014, 08:40:04 AM
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/04/facebooking-and-driving/361267/

QuoteThe Saddest Facebook Status

At 8:33 A.M. on Thursday, a 32-year-old woman driving to work in High Point, North Carolina, took out her phone and posted to Facebook:

QuoteThe Happy Song makes me so HAPPY.

At 8:34 A.M., police were notified of a crash.

In the moment she posted the message, the woman crossed over the median of Interstate 85 and collided with an oncoming recycling truck. She died.

71 percent of young Americans say they have written a message while driving. In 2012, an estimated 3,328 Americans died in crashes related to distracted driving.

Maybe the world is slightly Happier without her?

Because her reckless behaviour could have killed any number of other people. As it was she hit a substantial vehicle so the other driver wasn't so badly off, any indications of his injuries ?
Though being involved in fatal crash still can't be a nice experience. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

QuoteBecause her reckless behaviour could have killed any number of other people. As it was she hit a substantial vehicle so the other driver wasn't so badly off, any indications of his injuries ?

Daily Wail says he was unharmed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2614151/The-happy-song-makes-HAPPY-32-year-old-woman-dead-Facebook-post-driving-leads-crash.html

QuoteWoman, 32, dies in head on crash seconds after Facebook post from behind wheel about how she loved Pharrell hit Happy

Courtney Sanford was actively using Facebook while driving in the minutes leading to her crash, police said
    She died only seconds after her final post

A 32-year-old North Carolina woman is dead after slamming her car head-on into a truck while posting selfies and a Facebook update about how happy she was while listening to a Pharrell song.

Courtney Sanford, of High Point, crossed the center median of a busy road Thursday morning just after making the post, hit a recycling truck and died, police said. Further inspection of her phone revealed pictures posted online only minutes earlier.

The last words Sanford shared with her friends? 'The happy song makes me HAPPY.'

Authorities said the post, visible only to her friends, was made at 8.33 a.m., the first 911 call received about the crash was one minute later.

'In a matter of seconds, a life was over just so she could notify some friends that she was happy,' a police spokesperson told WGHB.

Footage from the scene showed Sanford's car had careened off the road into a ditch near some trees. The recycling truck was only feet away, also in the grass.

Sanford's car caught on fire after running off the road. The truck hit a tree.

Authorities believe she was traveling at about 45 mph at the time of the accident. Alcohol and drugs have been ruled out as a cause, but police are still running a toxicology report to confirm, sources told WFMY.

She died instantly, cops said. The truck driver was unharmed.

Investigators also discovered a series of selfies posted by the woman while she was driving, police said.

'As sad as it is, it is a grim reminder for everyone... you just have to pay attention while you are in the car,' the spokesperson added.

Sanford was wearing a seat belt, police said, but it fastened improperly.

It is not clear if wearing the restraint correctly would have saved her life.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Tamas

I just cannot understand how somebody can be so utterly stupid as to start texting during driving.

Malthus

Well, at least we know for sure she died happy. Can't say that of too many folks.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

PDH

Screw dying happy.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did -- in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Quote from: PDH on April 28, 2014, 10:16:44 AM
Screw dying happy.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did -- in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

^_^
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Well that is horrible.  Just glad nobody else was hurt.

What is up with songs that sound like they are from 1979 being hits recently?  First the retro Bruno Mars song last year now this Stevie Wonder sounding song this year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Why wasn't the title "katmai posts 'The Happy Song makes me so HAPPY.', dies of AIDS seconds later"? :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.