Internet Graphics - Facts behind the Memes

Started by mongers, April 27, 2014, 10:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I don't understand the first graphic at all.  Why does it change countries?  Why does the appliance get bigger along with the person the more power it uses.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on April 27, 2014, 01:02:56 PM
I don't understand the first graphic at all.  Why does it change countries?  Why does the appliance get bigger along with the person the more power it uses.

I assume it's annual per capita electricity consumption/generation in various African countries vs typical annual energy usage for various consumer/white goods, but without a legend and some explanation that's just a guess.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Haiti and Cambodia are not African countries.

Anyway I tend to distrust most statistics meant for the general public.  Even the ones that are absolutely true get presented in a misleading way.  This particular graphic theoretically should be easy to fact check though?  Total energy consumption per person.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fhdz

That graph doesn't even have a legend. Are you supposed to just guess what you're looking at?
and the horse you rode in on

Valmy

Quote from: fhdz on April 27, 2014, 01:34:54 PM
That graph doesn't even have a legend. Are you supposed to just guess what you're looking at?

I thought they were telling me Haiti had laptops much more efficient than Ghanan refrigerators.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Presumably the person who retweeted it chopped all the pointy head parts off.

The Brain

I understand it to mean that stand your ground has worked wonders.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

I think so yes.

I don't think it presents energy consumption, but more narrowly electric consumption per capita, hence the comparisons with electrical goods.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on April 27, 2014, 02:24:53 PM
I think so yes.

I don't think it presents energy consumption, but more narrowly electric consumption per capita, hence the comparisons with electrical goods.

Watt-hours are a unit of energy.  I am confused by the distinction between electric and energy here.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2014, 02:34:02 PM
Watt-hours are a unit of energy.  I am confused by the distinction between electric and energy here.

I thought watts and watt hours were only related  to electricity.   

For example, I don't think you can talk about the  watts  in a gallon of gasoline.

The Brain

I think so yes.

Why?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: The Brain on April 27, 2014, 02:39:37 PM
I think so yes.

Why?

Lack of metrication.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2014, 02:36:51 PM

I thought watts and watt hours were only related  to electricity.   

For example, I don't think you can talk about the  watts  in a gallon of gasoline.

Sigh.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2014, 02:36:51 PM

True.  You can talk about the kilowatts in a liter of gasoline, but not watts per gallon.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!