And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Architectural Styles?

Started by Queequeg, April 26, 2014, 09:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Norgy on April 26, 2014, 02:14:21 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 26, 2014, 02:07:41 PM
I apreciate architecture thats similar to the women I like ie sloppily put together.

If my hometown could be a woman, you'd be all over her.

If my hometown was a woman, she'd be spread out with lots of bush.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

Art Deco, many of Detroit's best buildings are in that style (as are many of it's ruins.)

Italian Renaissance; the Cathedral at Florence is among my favorite

French Gothic:  Chartres is another favorite

Modernisme:  Although that might be entirely due to Gaudí's truly weird vision

Manueline (Late Portuguese Gothic) is great.  At their height the Portuguese were having none of the Italian renaissance and instead took the Gothic even further.  The result was fantastic without going overboard.  Unfortunately the style was over-exuberantly revived in the 19th century with similarly bad results to the Victorian Gothic revival.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on April 26, 2014, 02:36:31 PM
image of Nazi stuffs

I knew Languish wouldn't fail to get Speer in on the first page.  :P

Tonitrus

Quote from: celedhring on April 26, 2014, 01:28:03 PM
The Prairie School.

For homes, I agree.  Craftsman-style is also fantastic.

Sheilbh

Baroque. Art deco. Brutalism. Modern Gothic.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

For me the scale of the building is more important, I enjoy a few grand/monumental buildings, but generally prefer more modest affairs, often no larger than a manor house.

If I had to choose styles, I like some English baroque, Queen Anne and some early Georgian. Plus earlier stuff like some Indigo Jones.

One of my favourite buildings is the Greenwich observatory, it's a nicely modest, though still important building, but one you could imagine having as a home.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 26, 2014, 07:11:16 PM
Baroque.

Love it.

QuoteArt deco.

Really love it.

QuoteModern Gothic.

Love it all.

QuoteBrutalism.

Oh, dear God. :bleeding:

When Dame Edna came to town, I believe she referred to the Mechanic Theater as a neo-brutalist gem only Brezhnev could love.

Razgovory

Yeah, what is with all the Brutalism lovers here?  It's how an architect tells the world he hates people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Queequeg

It's kind of hipster architecture. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on April 27, 2014, 01:41:05 PM
Yeah, what is with all the Brutalism lovers here?  It's how an architect tells the world he hates people.
Nonsense.

But Brutalism is being rehabilitated pretty rapidly now. See Jonathan Meades two-part documentary and stuff like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1906964904/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=479289247&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0434022446&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1SJ8GEERAJF85HNRY6YR
http://fuckyeahbrutalism.tumblr.com/

I suspect it'll end up like those Victorian buildings that we demolished in the 60s because they were seen as ugly.

Edit: In true hipster fashion, I've loved Brutalism for years :lol:

I was actually won over first by the National Theatre:

And later by living near the Trellick Tower:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Queequeg

QuoteEdit: In true hipster fashion, I've loved Brutalism for years
Me too.  I loved it in Birmingham (England) as a kid, and loved it down at the University of Illinois at Chicago campus or the University of Chicago whenever I visited. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2014, 02:34:59 PM
Dude  on the  left  is wearing a pretty brutal outfit.

I looked up that photo, it was from 1968.  So he's not hipster, he's just square.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 27, 2014, 03:33:28 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2014, 02:34:59 PM
Dude  on the  left  is wearing a pretty brutal outfit.

I looked up that photo, it was from 1968.  So he's not hipster, he's just square.

By '86 he'll be hip and square.