News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Architectural Styles?

Started by Queequeg, April 26, 2014, 09:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

I think thread title is pretty self-explanatory. 

I like Art Nouveau, Brutalist, Byzantine, Romanesque and traditional Russian and Armenian architecture a lot.  Brutalist sticks out, but I like the combination of harsh geometric lines with an affinity for complexity that you don't see in the International Style or Bauhaus.  Armenian is probably my personal favorite; a large part of my appreciation of Armenian art and culture came from my love of pictures of the ruins of Ani. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Iormlund

I quite like traditional Muslim architecture. I enjoy other old styles (classical Greek, Egyptian, Japanese).

As for newer stuff, I'm a big fan of Minimalism.

Queequeg

Are we talking Andalusian, Iorm?  There's quite a bit of difference between Turkey, Grenada and the Taj Mahal.   
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zanza

Norgy

Quote from: grumbler on April 26, 2014, 11:53:42 AM
I like Pretensionism.

That'd be my favourite too. Especially the columns.

celedhring

The Prairie School.

If we talk more monumental stuff, I'm unsurprisingly partial to Art Nouveau.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 26, 2014, 11:53:42 AM
I like Pretensionism.

Just because someone can appreciate something you don't understand doesn't make it pretentious.  However what is damning is some of his choices.  Brutalism?  Rusisan?  Bleh.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

mongers

I apreciate architecture thats similar to the women I like ie sloppily put together.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Norgy

Quote from: mongers on April 26, 2014, 02:07:41 PM
I apreciate architecture thats similar to the women I like ie sloppily put together.

If my hometown could be a woman, you'd be all over her.

mongers

Quote from: Norgy on April 26, 2014, 02:14:21 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 26, 2014, 02:07:41 PM

If my hometown could be a woman, you'd be all over her.

:cool:

My home town ain't much to write home about, so to speak; in the 1970s the planners decided it need a bypass (relief road), so they built it right through the middle of the town.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.