UKIP poster boy is a racist immigrant, film at 11

Started by Tamas, April 25, 2014, 04:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2014, 04:24:19 AM
The article reported Merkel's response to the reported plans Cameron's coming up with. It's all a bit distant.

Welfare as 'lifestyle choice', you really should consider the Tories/UKIP :P

I am not saying its the majority, but isn't kind of a known thing for example that young girls in a poor environment and no ambition choose to give birth ASAP to rake in the benefits. Plus I consider things like you mentioned about people living in council housing despite being well off, part of this.

Helping those who are in a bad spell is important (although one could argue that with low enough taxes charities could take care of that), but if welfare is a rational alternative to low-paying jobs, then something is being done wrong.

Iormlund

Quote from: Tamas on November 04, 2014, 04:04:09 AM
It is welfare which is about hurting people. It is hurting those who have to finance it for people who have made it a lifestyle choice to live on it.

That line of thought is something I don't really understand. Outside of some fringe groups (Roma), my experience is that people want to be employed. During the happy early 2000s male unemployment over here was virtually zero (~3%). Now it's over 20% but I doubt this is indicative of potential workers somehow getting lazier in the last ten years.

Tamas

Quote from: Iormlund on November 04, 2014, 06:54:19 AM
It is welfare which is about hurting people. It is hurting those who have to finance it for people who have made it a lifestyle choice to live on it.

That line of thought is something I don't really understand. Outside of some fringe groups (Roma), my experience is that people want to be employed. During the happy early 2000s male unemployment over here was virtually zero (~3%). Now it's over 20% but I doubt this is indicative of potential workers somehow getting lazier in the last ten years.

Well, it is not THE problem with the welfare state, for sure. (The bigger issue is that often a lot of the GDP is redistributed in an inefficient fashion, ie. taken away from those who produce it, and then spent on whatever). But it does seem like some countries created a situation where the poor and uneducated is in a situation where it just doesn't make the least bit of sense for them to try and do the hard climb out of their poverty, when there is the alternative of popping out some kids and maybe supplement that with whatever jobs they can come across.

That, I consider a toxic incentive that should be eliminated. It can also lead to a chain reaction bad for the economy, like trying to combat this with the raising of the minimum wage which makes prices higher and further removes the chance of employment from the unskilled.

Some of the stories I have heard from Britons, or read here (in regards to council housing for example) seems to show that a lot of the welfare system here can be used/abused to make life easier for people who could make it on their own (even if in a very modest way). That should never be the case, because it is highly unfair to:
-those who actually finance those benefits. They lose it in tax to be payed, instead of being able to spend/invest on their own
-those who actually need welfare, because there are less resources available to help them

Josquius

QuoteEven until the 90s to qualify as a worker you had to have a job offer in the other country. It also didn't include dependants or non-working, non-EEA citizens.

Edit: And the Maastricht idea of common European citizenship was a pretty huge shift too.
I think a much bigger change than any actual legal changes that have occurred is in the shrinking of the continent. With ryan air and the like and it being a casual 2 hour plane ride taken on a whim to most of the continent....people are just more open to moving abroad these days.

QuoteSo when UKIP talks about curbing welfare to combat immigration (IIRC they do that), its total BS.

I do agree with curbing welfare, and that WILL ease up on the immigration thing, as Brits will be forced, to, you know, take up jobs.
Yes, because so many Brits don't want jobs and unemployment is purely down to the wonderful £50 a week benefit payments that allow a man to live like a king on aldi own brand baked beans on toast.

We need bigger and smarter benefits. Not less. If you're not scrambling around trying to get enough pennies to feed your kids for the week then you're probably going to be more inclined to spend £400 a month on train tickets to job interviews. Not to mention your performance at the interviews.

QuoteI am not saying its the majority, but isn't kind of a known thing for example that young girls in a poor environment and no ambition choose to give birth ASAP to rake in the benefits.
Born out of a poor 15 year old's image of "£100 a month? Wow, you must be a millionaire!", not any genuine profitability in doing that.

Quote from: Gups on November 04, 2014, 03:05:41 AM
Quote from: Tyr on November 03, 2014, 05:13:27 PM

Thats unusual. I was actually referring to yougov polls, if you look back it was quite consistently around 10%. Europe seems to have really blown up in recent months. :hmm:

But immigration has been a big issue for a long time now and that's equated with the EU in most people's minds.
Somewhat. Not entirely though. Much bigger concerns with immigration IMO are asylum seekers, chain migration from Pakistan and the like.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Yeah but you would have liked the coal mines to be kept open on taxpayers money so I will take your opinion with a pinch of salt :P

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on November 04, 2014, 12:39:25 PM
Yeah but you would have liked the coal mines to be kept open on taxpayers money so I will take your opinion with a pinch of salt :P
And you would oppose that on principal even if it saves the taxpayers money so...
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

While Tyr's views definitely require some salt, your opinions justify massive gov't spending to keep salt mines in operation to deliver the necessary salt :P

derspiess

Try coal dust.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2014, 12:51:39 PM
And you would oppose that on principal even if it saves the taxpayers money so...

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2014, 12:51:39 PM

You've alluded to this before, that closing Teh Coal Mines was a net loss.  Would you care to substantiate this claim?

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on November 04, 2014, 03:59:22 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 03, 2014, 07:49:48 PM
So when UKIP talks about curbing welfare to combat immigration (IIRC they do that), its total BS.

I do agree with curbing welfare, and that WILL ease up on the immigration thing, as Brits will be forced, to, you know, take up jobs.

Well that's the point of curbing welfare, to hurt people you don't like.  They want to hurt immigrants, you want to hurt lazy brits.  Same thing.

Yeah, you can tell yourself that, but it's not true.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2014, 01:00:49 PM
You've alluded to this before, that closing Teh Coal Mines was a net loss.  Would you care to substantiate this claim?
£500 million in subsidies that allow the miners to earn a decent wage and support the economy of broad swathes of the country vs. £500 million in unemployment benefits to provide the miners with just barely enough to survive and knock out the cornerstone of the economy of broad swathes of the country.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2014, 01:59:29 PM
£500 million in subsidies that allow the miners to earn a decent wage and support the economy of broad swathes of the country vs. £500 million in unemployment benefits to provide the miners with just barely enough to survive and knock out the cornerstone of the economy of broad swathes of the country.

Are those actual numbers, or did you make them up?

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on November 04, 2014, 01:59:29 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 04, 2014, 01:00:49 PM

You realise that the practice you suggest is what in large part responsible for the collapse of the eastern bloc's economy in the 80s, right?

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on November 04, 2014, 01:55:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 04, 2014, 03:59:22 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 03, 2014, 07:49:48 PM
So when UKIP talks about curbing welfare to combat immigration (IIRC they do that), its total BS.

Well that's the point of curbing welfare, to hurt people you don't like.  They want to hurt immigrants, you want to hurt lazy brits.  Same thing.

Yeah, you can tell yourself that, but it's not true.

Spend some years working in the private sector, then come back and let me know what you think.