News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tories flirt with heresy

Started by Tamas, April 24, 2014, 03:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27137184

QuoteThe Conservatives have said they will not subsidise new onshore wind farms if they win the 2015 general election.

Energy Minister Michael Fallon said any project not granted planning permission before the election would not get funds as the UK would already have enough wind power to meet 2020 EU targets.

He also said councils in England and Wales would be given the "decisive say" on new onshore wind farms from 2015.

A Lib Dem source accused the party of pandering to its right wing.

The source said the Tories were trying to stop voters turning to UKIP.

'No more needed'

Mr Fallon said a "good mixture of reliable energy" was needed and the government was "committed" to cutting carbon emissions.

"Renewable energy, including onshore wind, has a key role in our future energy supply," he said.

"But we now have enough bill payer-funded onshore wind in the pipeline to meet our renewable energy commitments and there's no requirement for any more."

He also said his party would change the law within six months of winning the 2015 election so all onshore wind farm applications would be handled by local planning authorities.

At present large projects in England and Wales are dealt with under the "nationally significant infrastructure" planning regime.

Coalition divide

The government says there is currently enough wind power to provide energy to four million homes, forecast to rise to seven million by 2020.

Department for Energy and Climate Change figures suggest 13.8GW of UK onshore wind power capacity is already built, under construction or has been granted planning permission.

It says that will be enough to meet targets of 11-13GW even if some projects fall through.

BBC political correspondent Ross Hawkins said the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats had been "at pains to point out how much they disagree about onshore wind farms", with David Cameron "repeatedly saying" subsidies must eventually be brought to an end.

On Tuesday the prime minister said the government "shouldn't keep subsidies for longer than they are necessary".

On Wednesday the government announced approval of eight new renewable energy projects, including offshore wind farms and conversions of coal-powered plants to run on biomass.

Lib Dem Energy Secretary Ed Davey said the move marked a "new stage in Britain's green energy investment boom".

Brazen

S'OK, we'll just use chip grease for energy and avoid forming any more "fatbergs" in the sewers to boot.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/apr/07/london-cooking-waste-power-station

What we really need it to start work on more nuclear power plants like about 10 years ago, rather than successive governments hoping it will be the next government's problem.

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on April 24, 2014, 04:57:04 AM
S'OK, we'll just use chip grease for energy and avoid forming any more "fatbergs" in the sewers to boot.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/apr/07/london-cooking-waste-power-station

What we really need it to start work on more nuclear power plants like about 10 years ago, rather than successive governments hoping it will be the next government's problem.

Nothing to worry about, market forces will solve all problems;

wanders off to look for candles.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: Brazen on April 24, 2014, 04:57:04 AM

Not to worry; the government is only there to help.  If it looks to you like the government policy is daft, there is something wrong with your vision.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

When you write "Tories flirt with heresy" I expect them to be going against a long established Tory position, not moving away from something they've always been lukewarm on at best.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I presume Tamas meant something like heresy against the renewable energy religion or something.  Of course you do not want too much of your grid to be powered by something as unpredictable as wind energy, only makes sense for them to want to stop at a certain percentage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on April 24, 2014, 07:28:23 AM
Nothing to worry about, market forces will solve all problems;

wanders off to look for candles.

Well yeah with too much of the grid being reliant on wind you might suffer brown outs at peak periods.  Might want to stock up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on April 24, 2014, 02:31:26 PM
I presume Tamas meant something like heresy against the renewable energy religion or something.

Perhaps, but you can't really commit heresy against a religion you've never been part of.

Razgovory

I don't think Tamas likes anything that smells of environmentalism, which he regards as a religion.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on April 24, 2014, 01:04:20 PM
When you write "Tories flirt with heresy" I expect them to be going against a long established Tory position, not moving away from something they've always been lukewarm on at best.

And I expected them to be saying questionable things about our lord and savior jesus christ.

Tamas--I think we agree--questionable thread title.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

Well, here in the UK, it seems you are not allowed to market pretty much anything without claiming it was produced with renewable energy, and/or being freerange. You just don't.

So, saying that there is such thing as too much money spent on renewables seemed like a brave stance.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 24, 2014, 02:57:04 PM
I don't think Tamas likes anything that smells of environmentalism, which he regards as a religion.

It seems to be a religion for some.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2014, 03:26:16 PM

Carbon credits are the modern plenary indulgence :pope:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on April 24, 2014, 03:31:01 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 24, 2014, 03:26:16 PM

Carbon credits are the modern plenary indulgence :pope:

No I think those are closer to complex financial instruments; those sorts of things tend to work out just fine?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"