#myNYPD Twitter callout backfires for New York police department

Started by Syt, April 23, 2014, 10:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on April 23, 2014, 12:01:19 PM
I'm not surprised that an uninformed and, let's face it, stupid man like yourself

:hug:

Quotebuys into the fairy tails about the iron fist that saved New York, but unsurprisingly reality is usually more complicated than simple fairy tales for simple men.

Deny it all you want, but I could tell a difference after Giuliani took over.  Perhaps you've fallen in one of those "too close to see it" type paradoxes.

QuoteEnforcing professional conduct doesn't come at a cost of increased crime (if anything, increased respect for police by law-abiding citizens is probably a good thing).  Turning a blind eye towards petty corruption like PBA cards or ticket fixing likewise doesn't lead to higher crimes. 

I don't disagree with this.

QuoteAnd beside all of that, policing is always a compromise between safety and freedom, which implies that you can go too far in either direction.

Yep, and that's what will happen with this commie clown as mayor.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on April 23, 2014, 12:16:25 PM
Deny it all you want, but I could tell a difference after Giuliani took over.  Perhaps you've fallen in one of those "too close to see it" type paradoxes.

I saw reports of studies that attributed the decline in crime in NYC to demographic and economic factors; it was mirrored by similar declines in other places that had a similar trajectory as well as a general decline in crime on a national level.

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on April 23, 2014, 12:16:25 PM
Of perhaps you've fallen for one of those "too removed to know anything other than what ideologues drill into you" paradoxes.

DGuller

Of course, I'm being flip.  There are plenty of people to NYC that believe in fairy tales that can be disproved by facts they should know (but don't care to).  My sister had that similar chicken-little reaction to the new mayor, saying that NYC would be back to the out-of-control crime like it was under incompetent Dinkins.  Of course, she was quite surprised to learn that Raymond Kelly's first reign as a commissioner was under Dinkins, or that crime started its dip down under Dinkins.

Capetan Mihali

I've slept in the subway many times.  Hell, anything was better than going back to Pet Clark's place for the night, even standing in the pouring rain. :glare:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on April 23, 2014, 12:36:19 PM
Of course, I'm being flip.  There are plenty of people to NYC that believe in fairy tales that can be disproved by facts they should know (but don't care to).  My sister had that similar chicken-little reaction to the new mayor, saying that NYC would be back to the out-of-control crime like it was under incompetent Dinkins.  Of course, she was quite surprised to learn that Raymond Kelly's first reign as a commissioner was under Dinkins, or that crime started its dip down under Dinkins.

You are lying.  Dinkins was a commie clown.  Crime increases under commie clowns.  Ergo, crime increased under Dinkins.  Ergo, claims that the crime rate started its decline under Dinkins are lies, no matter what the statistics say. 
#Rushisalwaysright
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2014, 10:41:12 AM

Wait, can you get ticketed for sleeping in a subway car?

Gotta say my experience with the NYPD was great while I lived here, always seemed very polite and helpful. But I guess I wasn't susceptible to get profiled.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: celedhring on April 23, 2014, 02:28:42 PM
Wait, can you get ticketed arrested for sleeping in a subway car?

If you read the article, it has a few people recounting their experiences being handcuffed and spending 12 hours locked up before having to go in front of a judge and enter some type of plea to this crime. :blink:

I've known about some of the crazily excessive things the NYPD has been empowered to cite people for (like sitting on milk crates), for a long time, but this is honestly a new one.  I had no idea sleeping on the subway wasn't allowed.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Brain

Sleeping on the subway while impersonating a police officer.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on April 23, 2014, 12:21:47 PM
I saw reports of studies that attributed the decline in crime in NYC to demographic and economic factors; it was mirrored by similar declines in other places that had a similar trajectory as well as a general decline in crime on a national level.
Yeah. There's been a general decline within the western world despite different systems, social problems and policing strategies.

I always find and this is only this forum, that Americans here seem to have a far more deferential attitude to the police and, so, different limits on what's acceptable. The attitude seems very different from a British (and Canadian?) 'policing by consent' view.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 23, 2014, 03:15:22 PM
I always find and this is only this forum, that Americans here seem to have a far more deferential attitude to the police and, so, different limits on what's acceptable. The attitude seems very different from a British (and Canadian?) 'policing by consent' view.

I have a deferential attitude (yes, massah) because I don't need to be hassled. Resistance is futile. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.