#myNYPD Twitter callout backfires for New York police department

Started by Syt, April 23, 2014, 10:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on April 25, 2014, 01:17:23 PM
You have a pretty black sense of humor is all. :P

As I recall at the time, he was plenty pissed about being robbed, but we were not exactly sympathetic - he got lots of ribbing for doing stupid shit to get noticed while he was carrying dope.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ideologue on April 25, 2014, 01:09:09 PM
Your friend was robbed by a man under the color of lawful authority! :lol: :lol:

I've heard about this happening to people pretty regularly since Vt. decriminalized possession under 2 oz. and s.mall amounts don't have much evidentiary value anymore.  So if they find it in the car in an alcohol DUI case, they just take it for themselves rather than write up a ticket for it.

Cops have been diverting contraband since forever.  Hell, the SF police were recently found running a big cocaine dealing operation out of the evidence room.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

My Dad had a closet full of seized booze. Or so I was told.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 25, 2014, 02:12:55 AM
The metropolitan police did try and fit up a mate of mine once. We were walking around Soho about 2 in the morning when we spotted a policeman's hat in the gutter, my mate went and picked it up, big mistake............we were swooped upon by half-a-dozen armed police. Luckily we had only finished work at midnight, so were sober, also my friend had some legal training which helped in the chat that followed. He pointed out that I hadn't even touched the hat and they had jumped us before we even had a chance to discuss our find, so they let me go and no arrest was made, useful if you want to travel to the USA on visa-waiver. However, they did arrest my friend and charged him with theft. He hired a barrister; we had to miss a day's work chatting to him, then another shift for the trial. I was a witness so missed most of the 20-minute trial. The boss of the cops was in the anteroom where I waited for my turn on the stage, an inspector or some such, he remarked "well this is a damned tuppeny-hapenny affair!". I had to agree.

The magistrate found not guilty of course and awarded £50 costs against the cops (the real costs were much higher of course). He then gave a pompous little speech and advised us not to wander about town in the small hours  :lol:

I like to think the commanding officer of the cops gave them a bollocking for this; armed cops were very rare in those days, they were supposed to be doing something much more important with their time; but doubt that any action was taken.
Malthus story at least makes sense because it was a set up by a corrupt cop to rob people.

What was the point of all this? Surely if they need to make an arrest qouta the police can arrange entrapment of someone on a much higher charge. Setting up the "theft" of a policeman's hat seems like a complete waste of time.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

It was utterly senseless Tim.

I suppose they got some office time preparing their "case" and then had a morning in court instead of doing some actual policing, maybe they were idle bastards  :lol:

It was in Soho too; if they needed to make arrests then there were any number of "drunk and disorderly" folk about and, of course, things far worse than that just under the surface  :hmm: