Would you be in favor of keeping your country together with force

Started by jimmy olsen, April 21, 2014, 11:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favor of keeping your country together with force?

Yes
14 (35.9%)
No
25 (64.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on April 22, 2014, 10:38:52 AM
IMO should it come to that some kind of dual citizenship system would be an unavoidable consequence.

Because if they are in this new Independent state they should not be voting in Spanish elections?  I am just trying to imagine the bizarre implications of a third of Canadians have American citizenship or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Iormlund

Quote from: Jacob on April 22, 2014, 10:36:31 AM
Why should they not have dual citizenship?

Why should they? What does Spain win by giving that privilege to those who choose to become Catalonian citizens?

grumbler

Quote from: Iormlund on April 22, 2014, 09:41:52 AM
No, their choice was to live in Spain, and they had bought homes there, built businesses, developed careers ...

Now it's no longer Spain. They didn't choose that.

I doubt that many of them chose to live in Spain.  Most were probably just born there, without any effort or decision on their part.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2014, 10:40:57 AM
Quote from: The Larch on April 22, 2014, 10:38:52 AM
IMO should it come to that some kind of dual citizenship system would be an unavoidable consequence.

Because if they are in this new Independent state they should not be voting in Spanish elections?  I am just trying to imagine the bizarre implications of a third of Canadians have American citizenship or something.

Because you can't remove the Spanish citizenship of the whole population of Catalonia, in case it declared independence. Spain currently allows dual citizenship with relatively few countries, mostly former colonies and Portugal, so an independent Catalonia should be included in that group of countries whose citizens are allowed to have Spanish citizenship and keep their previous one.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 22, 2014, 10:54:00 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 22, 2014, 10:45:20 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 22, 2014, 09:58:41 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on April 22, 2014, 09:47:58 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 22, 2014, 07:13:11 AM
Vive la Corse libre!

Bon débarras ! Et tant qu'on y est, les Antilles aussi (Guadeloupe et Martinique).

Vive la Réunion libre!

:secret: Plutôt Mayotte.

Pas de mouvement en Réunion? Eh ben.

Pas même de mouvement en métropole pour s'en débarrasser contrairement aux îles précédemment citées.

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on April 22, 2014, 07:09:01 AM
No, I'd just put out ludicrous propaganda vastly overstating how much worse off they'd be after independence that they'd definitely vote to go on principle.

Better to just leave the ludicrous propaganda that leaving will be easy with no serious problems and sunshine and lollipops for all unchallenged.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zanza

We should keep Germany and Austria together with force. :P  :ph34r:

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on April 22, 2014, 12:48:21 PM
Yes. We should keep Germany and Austria together with force. :P  :ph34r:

Austria was removed from Germany twice using force (1866 and 1945).  The third time might be the charm.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on April 22, 2014, 12:48:21 PM
Yes. We should keep Germany and Austria together with force. :P  :ph34r:

It's not that different that keeping Bavaria and Germany together indeed.

Zanza

In general I would say no. The American Civil War is pretty unique in that the suppression of secession was actually a good thing. I can't think of too many other examples were wars were fought to stop a state from splitting up which had a good outcome.

There is even a precedence: the UK already lost an integral part in 1921 and the war before that wasn't worth it either.