Would you be in favor of keeping your country together with force

Started by jimmy olsen, April 21, 2014, 11:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favor of keeping your country together with force?

Yes
14 (35.9%)
No
25 (64.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Not unless there was very good reason to believe something was very iffy about the secession; it was all a plot of the Russians or self-serving local business interests or the like.
If it would be a viable country of decent size or uniqueness then its their choice, its the fundamental essence of democracy, its just disgusting to say in a case like Scotland, where independence is a dumb but valid option, that force should be used to enslave them.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on April 22, 2014, 05:31:57 AM
If the only thing keeping a country together is force then that country doesn't deserve to be together.

That's an odd statement to make in reply.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on April 22, 2014, 07:32:20 AM
If the only thing keeping a country together is force then that country doesn't deserve to be together.

Excuse me?

jimmy olsen

It's the opposite, if people aren't willing to die for it then it doesn't deserve to be a country.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 22, 2014, 07:35:48 AM
It's the opposite, if people aren't willing to die for it then it doesn't deserve to be a country.

That's mind-boggingly stupid.

celedhring

People shouldn't die for countries.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on April 22, 2014, 07:34:21 AM

Excuse me?

What it is odd. I don't think Tim was asking the question with relation to artificial constructs (like perhaps Yugoslavia) but to long standing states like the UK which of course have more than force tying them together.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on April 22, 2014, 07:43:20 AM

Excuse me?

What it is odd. I don't think Tim was asking the question with relation to artificial constructs (like perhaps Yugoslavia) but to long standing states like the UK which of course have more than force tying them together.

Well, if Scotland chose to leave following the agreed conditions with the London government and then the UK chose to use the army to avoid secession - then force would be the only thing keeping it together.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on April 22, 2014, 07:44:00 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 22, 2014, 07:38:20 AM
People shouldn't die for countries.

Ukraine approach?

If Crimea wanted to break away peacefully after a proper referendum and not a farcical one under Russian guns, then yeah, I'd rather not have the Ukrainian army try to keep it by force. Same with the Eastern part.

There's a bunch of steps one can take to persuade a breakaway region before rolling out the tanks, though. One of the things that surprised me of the whole Scottish affair is how London didn't explore further devolvement which would have easily divided the nationalist front.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on April 22, 2014, 07:45:57 AM

Excuse me?

Well, if Scotland chose to leave following the agreed conditions with the London government and then the UK chose to use the army to avoid secession - then force would be the only thing keeping it together.

While I'm not sure on the UK/Scotland scenario, I don't think it would be accurate (or perhaps useful) to speak of force being the only thing keeping two countries together if they have a long standing history of being conjoined...unless I guess if a huge majority of citizens from the seceding country were in favor. Otherwise, I think you could say 51% of voters was the only thing pulling them apart which isn't very helpful.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on April 22, 2014, 07:57:15 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 22, 2014, 07:45:57 AM

Excuse me?

While I'm not sure on the UK/Scotland scenario, I don't think it would be accurate (or perhaps useful) to speak of force being the only thing keeping two countries together if they have a long standing history of being conjoined...unless I guess if a huge majority of citizens from the seceding country were in favor. Otherwise, I think you could say 51% of voters was the only thing pulling them apart which isn't very helpful.

History should not dictate the actions or rights of people living in the present, in my opinion.

I do agree though that larger majorities should be required for such a sweeping change to a society. In the Catalan one a 2/3 majority has been put forward even by some separatist circles.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on April 22, 2014, 08:00:16 AM
History should never dictate the actions or rights of people living in the present.

I wasn't saying length of time alone as the metric but rather that often with history there are long established processes and inter-dependencies between the regions (aka measure of strife and discord that a separation could bring).

Valmy

Well it sort of depends on why or how they are leaving. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."