And we're back!

Main Menu

Family trip to Canada on the horizon

Started by merithyn, April 16, 2014, 08:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2014, 11:56:35 AM
Quote from: merithyn on April 17, 2014, 11:49:08 AM
La Croix, thank you! That's great information to have!

<_<

I keep throwing out suggestions without comment from you Meri.  Are they helpful or not?  Are you looking for different sorts of information or recommendations?

Sorry. Yes, BB, they are very helpful! :hug:

And those are exactly the kinds of things that I'm thinking of. I don't know that a battlefield will be all that exciting for teenagers (and young adults), but the kids might surprise me on that. The stuff in Edmonton is interesting, but as has been pointed out, we're only going to be there for slightly less than 24 hours, much of which will be spent with friends and family. We may check out the Ukrainian Museum, though, because that just sounds awesome!

I didn't mean to ignore you, BB. I just read your posts when I couldn't respond, and happened to catch La Croix' at the right moment.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Do you need food / restaurant advice, or strictly eating with family?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

BY the way - which route are you taking?

You've mentioned Winnipeg - Saskatoon - Edmonton, which ordinarily would mean HIghway 16 (the Yellowhead) from Portage la Prairie to Edmonton, passing through Saskatoon.

Trouble with that route is almost the entire distance from Saskatoon to Portage is single lane highway.  Which sucks.

You might want to consider taking the #1 TransCanada all the way from Winnipeg to Regina, then taking the (#2?) highway to Saskatoon, then the #16 to Edmonton.  It should mostly be double laned highway that entire way.

OttoVonBismarck

When I was a teenager we went to Gettysburg and I liked it quite a bit. But that's an actual battlefield not the site of a long forgotten skirmish.

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 17, 2014, 02:26:32 PM
When I was a teenager we went to Gettysburg and I liked it quite a bit. But that's an actual battlefield not the site of a long forgotten skirmish.

Batoche is no Gettysburg in terms of scale, to be sure.  But it was a proper battle.  Batoche was the capital of Riel's Provisional Government, so capturing it put an end to the Rebellion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Batoche

Admiral Yi

If you're heading through the Dakotas Meri, I endorse stopping by the Custer battlefield  site.  And of course you have to stop at Wall Drug for free ice water. :nerd:

Caliga

Try to find the missing suitcase full of money from Fargo while you're in that area. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

This is our proposed route

I say proposed because nothing is written in stone yet. We just know what places we're planning to stop at during the trip.

Restaurants that are local to the area are preferred. I'd rather avoid local chains (except Tim Horton, Max; don't panic) if at all possible. We're staying with family everywhere except Grand Forks, Edmonton, and Bismarck, so relatively nice but cheap hotels in those areas would be nice. (Again, with local flair if possible.)

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on April 17, 2014, 03:04:36 PM
This is our proposed route

I say proposed because nothing is written in stone yet. We just know what places we're planning to stop at during the trip.

Restaurants that are local to the area are preferred. I'd rather avoid local chains (except Tim Horton, Max; don't panic) if at all possible. We're staying with family everywhere except Grand Forks, Edmonton, and Bismarck, so relatively nice but cheap hotels in those areas would be nice. (Again, with local flair if possible.)

Oy Vey you're hitting some shithole towns! (sorry Max!).  And a lot of really bad highways.

And you're skipping Winnipeg entirely! :mad:

Ed Anger

Local flair in hotels and motels:

Bedbugs and other creepy crawlies.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2014, 03:12:46 PM
Oy Vey you're hitting some shithole towns! (sorry Max!).  And a lot of really bad highways.

I actually just adjusted it to drive through Winnipeg and go around Lake Manitoba. :)

New proposed route

merithyn

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2014, 03:17:55 PM

We're not going to Ohio. :contract:

http://www.bedbugregistry.com/

Ed Anger

Quote from: merithyn on April 17, 2014, 03:19:43 PM

They are everywhere.  :secret:

But hey, enjoy sleeping on a piss stained mattress full of bugs.  :hug:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on April 17, 2014, 03:18:51 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 17, 2014, 03:12:46 PM

I actually just adjusted it to drive through Winnipeg and go around Lake Manitoba. :)

New proposed route

I was kind of teasing about Winnipeg, though if you're stopping around there it's the logical place to stop.

Trouble with the new route is it takes you through the Interlake, which if anything is even flatter than the rest of the province (and with crappy farmland to boot).

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2014, 03:22:07 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 17, 2014, 03:19:43 PM

They are everywhere.  :secret:

But hey, enjoy sleeping on a piss stained mattress full of bugs.  :hug:

I'm a master of staying in shitty northern hotels.

They may not have heat or a door that locks, but I've never found bed bugs, either.