News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Family trip to Canada on the horizon

Started by merithyn, April 16, 2014, 08:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on June 22, 2014, 10:37:14 PM
We left the family this morning, all a little sorry to say good-bye, I think.

I disagree with the Mennonite way in many regards, which can cause friction. This weekend, however, was more about family than any of that, so it went very well. I've now officially met all of Max's siblings, probably 95% of his nieces and nephews, great-nieces and nephews, and in-laws. I canoed down a river with two of his sisters-in-law, played board games with several of his siblings and siblings-in-law (and I beat his sister in Settlers of America, something that NEVER happens!), and sat and knitted with his very elderly aunt. He played board games, canoed, played frisbee golf, and sat around and chatted politics with his brothers, nephews, and brothers-in-law.

I think it's safe to say that the weekend exceeded my expectations by a long-shot. :)

Very happy to hear it. :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Quote from: merithyn on June 22, 2014, 10:37:14 PM
We left the family this morning, all a little sorry to say good-bye, I think.

I disagree with the Mennonite way in many regards, which can cause friction. This weekend, however, was more about family than any of that, so it went very well. I've now officially met all of Max's siblings, probably 95% of his nieces and nephews, great-nieces and nephews, and in-laws. I canoed down a river with two of his sisters-in-law, played board games with several of his siblings and siblings-in-law (and I beat his sister in Settlers of America, something that NEVER happens!), and sat and knitted with his very elderly aunt. He played board games, canoed, played frisbee golf, and sat around and chatted politics with his brothers, nephews, and brothers-in-law.

I think it's safe to say that the weekend exceeded my expectations by a long-shot. :)

That's great. :)

merithyn

About 6 hours from home. Utterly exhausted. And my butt hurts from sitting so long.

Why didn't we fly, again?  :P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

Finally home. Longest day of driving yet at 20 hours. I never want to get in my car again.

Heh. And we roll in at 4am to the front door wide open and every light in the house on. Run inside to check on the kids only to find them both sound asleep. Each thought the other had locked up.  :frusty:

Ed Anger

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2014, 01:38:25 PM
That is a really, really great picture.

Adorable kids, great setting, they are all smiling and happy at the same moment.

Thanks man :hug: they are actually really happy kids until it is bathtime.

Bluebonnet day is an annual tradition and somehow we always seem to get a great pic.  Probably why we keep doing it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2014, 08:23:40 AM
Quote from: Berkut on June 20, 2014, 01:38:25 PM
That is a really, really great picture.

Adorable kids, great setting, they are all smiling and happy at the same moment.

Thanks man :hug: they are actually really happy kids until it is bathtime.

Bluebonnet day is an annual tradition and somehow we always seem to get a great pic.  Probably why we keep doing it.

:huh:  My boys love bath time.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Highlights of trip:

* Seeing bears and moose
* Canoeing with two of my sisters-in-law
* Playing games with Max's siblings
* Meeting Barrister, Neil, and Max's cousin in Edmonton
* Going to the sheep farm
* Getting wool roving from said sheep farm
* Supper picnic by a lake with Max's sister's family
* Talking to Max during the drive
* Getting the best hugs ever from Max's nephew, Tyrin, aged five

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2014, 04:05:24 PM
:huh:  My boys love bath time.

Your kids act so logically and mature-like.  Mine love playing in the bathtub but still throw tantrums when it is time for their bath.  It makes no sense but hey I like it.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on June 24, 2014, 04:29:51 PM
Highlights of trip:

:o  That must have completely blown you away!

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2014, 04:32:23 PM
Quote from: merithyn on June 24, 2014, 04:29:51 PM
Highlights of trip:

:o  That must have completely blown you away!

:lol:

He talks to me, silly! He was even half-way chatty with Neil and Barrister. He's nowhere near as quiet as he used to be, though he still tends toward silence when around people he doesn't know so well. Hell, you should have seen him with his family. I could barely get a word in edgewise. ;)