Mirror uses stock image of American child for front page UK foodbanks story

Started by Brazen, April 16, 2014, 06:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Is there a moral element in taking advantage of tax breaks and rebates? Is there a moral element I taking advantage of government programs like healthcare (where available)? Or is the moral element present only if tax money is funnelled to you in specific ways?

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on April 19, 2014, 10:02:24 AM
Is there a moral element in taking advantage of tax breaks and rebates? Is there a moral element I taking advantage of government programs like healthcare (where available)? Or is the moral element present only if tax money is funnelled to you in specific ways?
Arguably, yes to all of the above.  All are provided as part of a social contract that says that a person contributes according to ability and receives according to need.  If a person is simply accepting without attempting to contribute, then there is a moral element to that acceptance.

I am not sure why this would even be controversial.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

LaCroix

there are situations where an individual may technically qualify for a welfare program but not qualify for the purpose of that program. i think there's definitely a moral component in accepting welfare then

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on April 19, 2014, 01:06:54 PM
Arguably, yes to all of the above.  All are provided as part of a social contract that says that a person contributes according to ability and receives according to need.  If a person is simply accepting without attempting to contribute, then there is a moral element to that acceptance.

If I'm understanding you correctly, when you say that there's a moral element to these actions you mean that it's evidence of a moral failure of sorts? If you receive without attempting to contribute, that is evidence of a moral shortcoming. Am I understanding your usage correctly?

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on April 19, 2014, 03:28:25 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 19, 2014, 01:06:54 PM

If I'm understanding you correctly, when you say that there's a moral element to these actions you mean that it's evidence of a moral failure of sorts? If you receive without attempting to contribute, that is evidence of a moral shortcoming. Am I understanding your usage correctly?

I am saying that it could be.  The issue isn't "is receiving welfare immoral?" it is "is there possibly a moral dimension to accepting welfare?"  In other words, "is it possible to immorally accept welfare?"  I say that it is.  Free-riding is not moral.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

No. Paying taxes is a requirement, so merely complying with the law in paying them or taking tax breaks has no moral content. The choice has been made for you. Morality requires a choice on the part of the individual. Deliberately breaking the law might have, however.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

I don't think there's a moral element to any of it.

I don't think there's a moral element to taking welfare to which you are legally entitled.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 19, 2014, 05:44:12 PM
No. Paying taxes is a requirement, so merely complying with the law in paying them or taking tax breaks has no moral content. The choice has been made for you. Morality requires a choice on the part of the individual. Deliberately breaking the law might have, however.

Nonsense.  Taking a tax break is not a requirement, and second many things that are required by law are a moral choice.  Abiding by or breaking the law can be a moral choice.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2014, 06:06:48 PM
I don't think there's a moral element to any of it.

I don't think there's a moral element to taking welfare to which you are legally entitled.
I don't think argument by assertion adds anything to a debate.

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on April 19, 2014, 07:01:26 PM
I just answered Jake's questions and wanted to clarify that by 'entitled' I don't mean that someone's contributed but that they're 'legally entitled'. I think it's exactly comparable with taking tax credits, using state school systems or healthcare provision.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2014, 07:04:19 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 19, 2014, 07:01:26 PM
I just answered Jake's questions and wanted to clarify that by 'entitled' I don't mean that someone's contributed but that they're 'legally entitled'. I think it's exactly comparable with taking tax credits, using state school systems or healthcare provision.

More argument by assertion.  You are simply saying, again, that you don't think that there are moral dimensions because you don't think that there are moral dimensions. :yawn:

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

Is there a moral element in taking advantage of tax breaks and rebates?

I suppose if you believed that the things those rebates were intended to promote were wrong, it might be for you. But then presumably you would have had to engage in that behavior yourself in order to be eligible for the rebate, so...
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

It was once considered sinfully to gain money from interest.  It wouldn't take much more to decide that simply the act of taking advantage of tax rebates is morally wrong.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 19, 2014, 07:27:21 PM
Is there a moral element in taking advantage of tax breaks and rebates?

I suppose if you believed that the things those rebates were intended to promote were wrong, it might be for you. But then presumably you would have had to engage in that behavior yourself in order to be eligible for the rebate, so...

So if the analogy holds, and I haven't seen anything that suggests it doesn't, then there can be a moral dimension to accepting welfare if you believe that welfare promotes something you believe to be wrong.

Which does seems consistent, in that people who argue against welfare often claim it promotes laziness and mooching. That's not how I see it, of course, so I don't see the alleged moral dimension in accepting welfare either.

As I see it, both tax rebates and welfare are ways to spend public money to incentivize certain behaviour or provide social goods. There is no difference, and no moral dimension to either.