And we're back!

Main Menu

So, Raz is thinking about going back to School

Started by Razgovory, April 12, 2014, 03:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on April 13, 2014, 12:11:20 AM
I conditionally agree with Mono.

If you can afford the expense of college and want to go to for fun or to improve your mental state, I'd consider all the other things you could do with that money. If college still seems like the most fun/best option, then go for it. I can't imagine it is though.

3 credit hours at a CC is gonna cost, what, $600 maybe?  That's a lot of entertainment and therapy for $600.

Admiral Yi

Another good option IMO would be an intro Spanish class.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 13, 2014, 04:34:47 AM
3 credit hours at a CC is gonna cost, what, $600 maybe?  That's a lot of entertainment and therapy for $600.

I was thumbing through my Mom's copy of the local Community college catalog, they're offering non-credit, shortened classes on everything from Gettysburg to Microsoft Office to cooking these days.  Hell, Dad's registered for 6 evening sessions on digital photography for the Nikon D40.  All those little buttons must do something.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 13, 2014, 04:34:47 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 13, 2014, 12:11:20 AM
I conditionally agree with Mono.

If you can afford the expense of college and want to go to for fun or to improve your mental state, I'd consider all the other things you could do with that money. If college still seems like the most fun/best option, then go for it. I can't imagine it is though.

That's fairly close to like four visits with a Psychologist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 13, 2014, 04:32:40 AM
I was thinking a creative writing or a literature class.  American novel, something like that.

You're writing a movie script about this, aren't you?  :hmm:

LaCroix

raz is in a terrible financial situation and very likely won't ever have another job in his life. certainly not a normal job, at least. so, college is a pointless expense to him. he wants to learn? library card. through his own research, raz will learn far more than he ever would in a classroom environment. just look at history majors. by and large, they don't know shit about history

having a professor present is useful to improve writing, but raz's post doesn't indicate that's what he's really interested in. so, he'd be paying to have a professor explain reading material that he probably could figure out himself, so he's better off cutting out that $500-3000 middleman. especially in his case where he doesn't have hundreds of dollars to pile up and set on fire

CountDeMoney

I think you're being to touchy-feely on this one, LaCroix.  Maybe you should be more direct.

LaCroix

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2014, 10:56:31 AM
I think you're being to touchy-feely on this one, LaCroix.  Maybe you should be more direct.

:lol:

i mean, really. with how godawful raz has said of his situation, time and again, people really should not be encouraging college. i'm pro-college for 99% of the time. but this clearly is not a good idea

Caliga

I guess it depends on Raz's ultimate goal.  If the goal is indeed to get a job, then I would say he should probably pursue something unskilled and easy first (like a cashier someplace).  If he can't handle that because he just can't hack working, then getting a college degree won't change it.

Either way best of luck to you, Raz. :hug:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on April 13, 2014, 11:00:44 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 13, 2014, 10:56:31 AM

:lol:

i mean, really. with how godawful raz has said of his situation, time and again, people really should not be encouraging college. i'm pro-college for 99% of the time. but this clearly is not a good idea
I think you are over-analyzing this.  If Raz is in what accept as a "godawful" situation, then changes are to be encouraged.  A summer course, or even a degree, might not be financially justifiable, but it lets Raz get back into a familiar pattern that still requires him to interact with people, and it allows him to be successful in an endeavor that obviously has meaning to him.  Financial aid might also be available, but I think a summer course at a CC is probably a good investment even if it doesn't work out.  In the latter case, at least Raz will not have to wonder if he should be trying school again.  That's worth $600 right there.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

If he needs mental health he should get a job (I suppose he's too old for the military). Surely there's some part time volunteer jobs that could serve the same toedipping purpose.

If he wants to learn moar stuff then he should hit the books. No need to stupid educate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2014, 12:33:40 PM

I think you are over-analyzing this.  If Raz is in what accept as a "godawful" situation, then changes are to be encouraged.  A summer course, or even a degree, might not be financially justifiable, but it lets Raz get back into a familiar pattern that still requires him to interact with people, and it allows him to be successful in an endeavor that obviously has meaning to him.  Financial aid might also be available, but I think a summer course at a CC is probably a good investment even if it doesn't work out.  In the latter case, at least Raz will not have to wonder if he should be trying school again.  That's worth $600 right there.

The cost of 1 course may be $600, but most people end up purchasing them in groups. Assuming he plans to take a few courses, for the same money he could fly the Philippines, get some cheap accomodation in Angeles City, and do things that have meaning to him and require interaction with people.

Even if it doesn't work out, it will be an awesome adventure and he will probably learn a lot more than he would in school.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jaron

Only insight I can add is to try to study something that will give you a tangible, marketable skill. I myself have a history degree, and I know many others with various social science degrees. They're fun to study but not very marketable outside of academic positions.

You're a smart guy so just find what interests you and can make you some green and go for it.  :showoff:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on April 13, 2014, 10:55:01 AM
raz is in a terrible financial situation and very likely won't ever have another job in his life. certainly not a normal job, at least. so, college is a pointless expense to him. he wants to learn? library card. through his own research, raz will learn far more than he ever would in a classroom environment. just look at history majors. by and large, they don't know shit about history

having a professor present is useful to improve writing, but raz's post doesn't indicate that's what he's really interested in. so, he'd be paying to have a professor explain reading material that he probably could figure out himself, so he's better off cutting out that $500-3000 middleman. especially in his case where he doesn't have hundreds of dollars to pile up and set on fire

Persona non grata at library.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on April 13, 2014, 10:55:01 AM

You're overlooking the human interaction aspect.