News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2014-2015

Started by sbr, April 10, 2014, 06:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

That part wasn't a whine; I don't give a shit who they schedule ooc games against. But in the past you've claimed that the PAC schedules tougher out of conference opposition in addition to that vaunted 9th conference game.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

dWell, sort of.

My argument was always that the 9 conference game schools typically scheduled 3 OOC games that were generally about as tough as the 3 best OOC games the 8 conference game teams scheduled.

Basically, the point being that the 9 conference game leagues replace the weak 4th OOC game with a conference game, while the SEC (as an example) doesn't generally make that 4th OOC game a tough game, but rather another patsy game.

The "normal" formula for 3 OOC games is 1 P5 game, 1 mid-majorgame, 1 patsy (Yes, I know Arizona is not following this formula, and I don't like it at all).

The "normal" formula for  4 OOC games seems to be 1 P5 game, 1 mid-level game, and 2 patsy's. At best, maybe 2 mid-major games.

It would be one thing if the 8 game leagues used their extra game to go out and play another "good" game, but they generally don't. Instead they schedule Southeast Louisiana State School of Agriculture and Law. So they are replacing a "good" game with a gimme game.

Nor should they, btw - the way the system is setup now, they would be foolish to do so, assuming their overall goal is to get as many of their schools into BCS level bowl games as possible, rather than entertaining their fans.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on January 06, 2015, 09:52:55 AM

Nobody plays two P5 OOC games per year, for the most part.

Isn't Peter Wiggin the only fan of an SEC fan here? For all the grief you give the SEC about OOC scheduling, they played Georgia Tech and Clemson OOC.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

As much as I'd like to praise the virtue of Georgia's athletic department, they're really following the same pattern as most everyone else- find one major team to trade games with and then fill in the rest with whoever. The rivalry game with Georgia Tech is a fixture and scheduling it in doesn't take any work on their part.

Also, St Jaba roots for Florida and I think Scipio for Ole Miss. Not that they're all that active right now.

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 06, 2015, 12:41:43 PM
As much as I'd like to praise the virtue of Georgia's athletic department, they're really following the same pattern as most everyone else- find one major team to trade games with and then fill in the rest with whoever. The rivalry game with Georgia Tech is a fixture and scheduling it in doesn't take any work on their part.

Also, St Jaba roots for Florida and I think Scipio for Ole Miss. Not that they're all that active right now.

You should give your team more credit. Yes Georgia Tech is a fixture, but they could get away with scheduling MAC and Sunbelt teams for 2 games and an 1-AA for the other. Look at what other schools are doing.

This year, FSU played Oklahoma State, Florida, and Notre Dame OOC. Okay, so none of those teams were great, but then neither was FSU.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on January 06, 2015, 12:46:27 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 06, 2015, 12:41:43 PM

You should give your team more credit. Yes Georgia Tech is a fixture, but they could get away with scheduling MAC and Sunbelt teams for 2 games and an 1-AA for the other. Look at what other schools are doing.

This year, FSU played Oklahoma State, Florida, and Notre Dame OOC. Okay, so none of those teams were great, but then neither was FSU.

From a scheduling standpoint, that is pretty ballsy scheduling. Schedules are done far enough in advance that you are scheduling largely based on reputation and history. Those are all teams that historically are going to challenge you more often than not.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on January 06, 2015, 11:37:47 AM
The "normal" formula for 3 OOC games is 1 P5 game, 1 mid-majorgame, 1 patsy (Yes, I know Arizona is not following this formula, and I don't like it at all).

This has been what Texas has tried to do forever.  But next year they have Cal and Notre Dame so either they consider Cal a mid major, the philosophy is changing, or they just really wanted to squeeze Notre Dame in there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on January 06, 2015, 01:35:24 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 06, 2015, 11:37:47 AM

This has been what Texas has tried to do forever.  But next year they have Cal and Notre Dame so either they consider Cal a mid major, the philosophy is changing, or they just really wanted to squeeze Notre Dame in there.

Texas has Ohio State in '22 and '23. Too bad I'll be dead by then of exhaustion of the penis.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Rasputin

that was awful...my eyes and soul still ache
Who is John Galt?

MadBurgerMaker

Valmy

Quote from: Rasputin on January 07, 2015, 12:17:35 PM

:console:  I have been there my friend.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Rasputin on January 07, 2015, 12:17:35 PM

Sorry, bro.  They certainly picked a wrong time for that horseshoe to finally fall out of their ass.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

Man, I don't want to root for either of these teams.   :(

Eddie Teach

I'm rooting for the lesser evil.