And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2014-2015

Started by sbr, April 10, 2014, 06:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 02, 2015, 04:37:07 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 02, 2015, 03:51:38 PM
Oh fuck. I was just going through the office talking shit to all the SEC fans about how the ACC was going to get a 500 bowl record (if we include ND in the conference). I should have known to never count on Pitt.

Barring a huge meltdown by the Vols, the SEC will also have at least a .500 record. I'm not sure "Hey, we're as good as you!" is that great a burn.  :hmm:

Believe it or not, this isn't the first time I was talking crap. It started with the ACC going 4-0 on rivalry week. The story i get was "yeah, but that was against the east. Try playing some west teams."

So I was wandering the halls, "how about that SEC west? You know the ACC won the Orange Bowl this year, what is the SEC's best bowl win? ND sure had a tough time matching up with the SEC west, didn't they? Do you think ND is getting better or the SEC is getting soft? Hey you know the ACC is going 500 in bowl games this year, pretty average, but are you sure the SEC is going to be able to get there?"

That was before the Tennessee game started. And Pittsburgh completed a beautiful swan dive into an empty pool.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

katmai

Hoping Hotel has ESPN or whatever channel is carrying the UDub-Oakie St game tonight.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

Your damn Huskies better not go out and pull an Arizona tonight. :mad:

sbr

In a stunning development Jim Mora is a complete and utter asshole, blowing off Bill Snyder after a game. 

THAT HE WON!

https://vine.co/v/OdAYFE7HWTL

Eddie Teach

And the SEC Least goes 5-0 in bowls. Huzzah.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

Oh hey there's a bowl game going on right now.  Arky State vs. Toledo.  :hmm:

2TDs already in the first 1:30. 

Berkut

With one game left in the season, the Pac-12 is 13-4 overall this year against other Power 5 conferences, including 5-1 post season  (6-2 overall).

There was some debate about who the #2 conference behind the SEC was for the last couple of years. Now the debate can be over who is #2 behind the Pac-12, because the SEC isn't even close (11-11 against other Power 5 conferences this year).

The question is...can the Pac-12 maintain it???
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Wait a minute, 13-4 overall including 5-1 post-season means 8-3 regular season. So your vaunted tough ooc scheduling titans averaged just under 1 game against other Power 5 schools.  :hmm:

p.s. please stop gloating. I want to be free to root for Oregon with no reservations.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Berkut will be watching the game chanting 'P-A-C P-A-C'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 05, 2015, 05:59:24 PM
Wait a minute, 13-4 overall including 5-1 post-season means 8-3 regular season. So your vaunted tough ooc scheduling titans averaged just under 1 game against other Power 5 schools.  :hmm:

Yeah, Colorado was the holdout this year, but they generally play a P5 school.  It is rare for any P5 school to play two P5 schools OOC, especially when they have a nine-game conference slate.   Michigan plays 2 such teams but only 8 teams in the conference.  When they go to nine conference games in 2017, they drop one of the P5 games (because they need to have 6 home games to foot the bills, and few P5 teams will take a one-off game for cash like MWC and the like will).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on January 05, 2015, 05:37:02 PM
With one game left in the season, the Pac-12 is 13-4 overall this year against other Power 5 conferences, including 5-1 post season  (6-2 overall).

There was some debate about who the #2 conference behind the SEC was for the last couple of years. Now the debate can be over who is #2 behind the Pac-12, because the SEC isn't even close (11-11 against other Power 5 conferences this year).

The question is...can the Pac-12 maintain it???

:lol:

Not even worth debating who the best conference is, huh?

FWIW, I remember you citing the Sagarin Conference Rankings in the past, so you might want to have a look (or might not):

1  SEC-WEST            (A) =  88.59      88.76  (  1)      7      88.70  (  1)
2  PAC-12(SOUTH)       (A) =  80.50      79.08  (  2)      6      79.73  (  2)
3  SEC-EAST            (A) =  79.47      78.70  (  3)      7      79.27  (  3)
4  BIG 12              (A) =  76.17      76.55  (  6)     10      76.27  (  5)
5  BIG TEN-EAST        (A) =  75.76      77.55  (  4)      7      77.93  (  4)
6  PAC-12(NORTH)       (A) =  75.36      76.88  (  5)      6      75.81  (  6)
7  ACC-ATLANTIC        (A) =  74.83      74.18  (  8)      7      74.64  (  7)
8  ACC-COASTAL         (A) =  74.41      74.83  (  7)      7      74.58  (  8)
9  BIG TEN-WEST        (A) =  72.90      72.90  (  9)      7      72.90  (  9)
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2014/conference/
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

Wait why is each division split out?  Is the Big 12: half a conference?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on January 05, 2015, 09:16:05 PM
Wait why is each division split out?  Is the Big 12: half a conference?

You would have to ask Jeff Sagarin, but it makes sense. 3 of the 4 power conferences with a divisional structure play an 8 game conference schedule and have 14 teams. You play 6 division games and 2 outside your division. It isn't far off from effectively being two conferences.

Admiral Yi

A lot of creativity shown by the ACC in naming their divisions.

Berkut

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 05, 2015, 05:59:24 PM

p.s. please stop gloating. I want to be free to root for Oregon with no reservations.

What a bizarre whine. Of course they aren't going to play more than one team, at most, from a P5 conference. That Pac-12 plays 9 conference games, so automatically they have an additional P5 game each year.

Nobody plays two P5 OOC games per year, for the most part.

You would think the teams that only play 8 conference games might add a tough extra OOC team, but no, they mostly add some patsy in its place.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned