News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2014-2015

Started by sbr, April 10, 2014, 06:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on November 29, 2014, 11:11:16 PM

If OSU played Arizona's schedule, and Arizona played OSUs, what would their records be?

OSU could not get through 9 Pac-12 games with only one loss, IMO.

Neither could Arizona.

FWIW, all the computer rankings I've seen have Ohio State well above Arizona, and Sagarin has them roughly a 6 point favorite on a neutral field. Obviously this week would change things, including Barrett breaking his ankle.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

But their conference schedule is no wear near as good.

Can we please not fight amongst ourselves and concentrate on the common SEC enemy?  Considering the extent of the PAC's interaction with the Big 12 was UCLA barely beating a middle of the road team I don't see what you are basing this on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

I don't understand how anyone thought a playoff would solve anything.  If anything, it expands it, because there will always be proportionally more teams that think they deserve to be in the top four than there are teams that think they are #1 or #2.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 29, 2014, 11:20:44 PM
Should've been an 8 team format.

It will happen, presuming this years playoff makes lots of money.  So...inevitable I would think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2014, 11:37:08 PM
I don't understand how anyone thought a playoff would solve anything.  If anything, it expands it, because there will always be proportionally more teams that think they deserve to be in the top four than there are teams that think they are #1 or #2.

Sure there will always be whiners, but whiners with multiple losses have no legitimate case so can be ignored.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2014, 11:37:33 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 29, 2014, 11:20:44 PM
Should've been an 8 team format.

It will happen, presuming this years playoff makes lots of money.  So...inevitable I would think.

There should be an 8 team playoff, but there are also too many games. The need to go back to an 11 or even 10 game regular season now that we have conference championships and playoff.

Even though Miami really sucks, it has some good NFL prospects. Watching the team at 6-5 playing in an empty stadium in a game not even the hard core fans gave a shit about, what were those guys doing out there? FWIW, one of them suffered a knee injury. Maybe lost an NFL shot and as much money as a good part of the gate.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

I never liked adding the 12th game.  It was not needed and mostly just allowed everybody to add a game against some Sunbelt/FCS team.

At least the Big 12 doesn't have that stupid championship game anymore.  At least something good came out of Nebraska blowing shit up....besides giving the Big 10 a team to break rushing records against.

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on November 29, 2014, 11:30:28 PM

If OSU played Arizona's schedule, and Arizona played OSUs, what would their records be?

OSU could not get through 9 Pac-12 games with only one loss, IMO.

Neither could Arizona.

FWIW, all the computer rankings I've seen have Ohio State well above Arizona, and Sagarin has them roughly a 6 point favorite on a neutral field. Obviously this week would change things, including Barrett breaking his ankle.

Ohio State's not got just the problem of the Big 10 being weak, they've got the problem of their loss being to a .500 team.  Granted, there were mitigating circumstances, but it wasn't just the offense--the OSU defense gave up 35 points to a team that ranks about 100th in the FBS in points scored.

Eddie Teach

I don't know why beating a couple good teams and losing to a bad team is considered a worse record than beating a good team and a bad team and losing to the other good team.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 30, 2014, 12:01:04 AM
I don't know why beating a couple good teams and losing to a bad team is considered a worse record than beating a good team and a bad team and losing to the other good team.

I'd say it's because when 2 good teams play each other, one of them has to lose, but when a good team plays a bad team, the good team should win.

sbr

If on Dec 10 the committee is deciding who the best 4 teams are, what difference does it make what happened in early September?

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 30, 2014, 12:01:04 AM

In Ohio State's case, they beat a theoretically good team (Michigan State), but the possibility / probability exists that actually the big ten just sucks and Michigan State has a good record only because the teams they play are worse at football. Ohio State played one power conference team out of conference, and lost even though that team sucks, which doesn't do much to inspire confidence.

In general though I agree with you. You play your schedule, and have a record at the end. I think your record should be judged based on the degree of difficulty, and who your wins and losses were against is not so important (excepting head to head matchups as a tie breaker if evaluating two teams).

alfred russel

Quote from: sbr on November 30, 2014, 12:13:52 AM
If on Dec 10 the committee is deciding who the best 4 teams are, what difference does it make what happened in early September?

They aren't just deciding who the best 4 teams are.

What they are deciding is outlined here:

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/selection-committee-protocol

If they were just picking the four best teams, then why not play your scout team during September to avoid injury, treat October as preseason, and then show your dominance with a rested and healthy team in November?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2014, 11:35:55 PM
But their conference schedule is no wear near as good.

Can we please not fight amongst ourselves and concentrate on the common SEC enemy?  Considering the extent of the PAC's interaction with the Big 12 was UCLA barely beating a middle of the road team I don't see what you are basing this on.

Hear hear. I tried watching the SEC Network. Christ. :bleeding:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Bo Pellini fired from Nebraska. He goes 9-3 and beats Miami, so surely the 6-6 Miami team that lost to him should be firing its coach too right? Please let this logic be correct.  :cry: