News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2014-2015

Started by sbr, April 10, 2014, 06:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 20, 2014, 05:16:47 PM
Sorry D4H the early 2000s are calling and want you back, talk about Miami has no place in a college football thread. Let's keep it to marginally relevant teams like Wyoming.

Actually, I wish to someday have Wyoming become marginally relevant.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

Quote from: PDH on October 21, 2014, 08:00:03 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 20, 2014, 05:16:47 PM
Sorry D4H the early 2000s are calling and want you back, talk about Miami has no place in a college football thread. Let's keep it to marginally relevant teams like Wyoming.

Actually, I wish to someday have Wyoming become marginally relevant.

Didn't they have a year a while back when they were undefeated late into the season and ranked fairly high?  They were getting a lot of talk back then.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

By a while back you mean 1996 when Joe Tiller was the coach and Wyoming went 10-2 (and didn't go to a bowl game despite finishing 20th in the country).

18 years is a long time ago...before that it was the late 80s and two WAC champion teams.  Before that it was a Fiesta Bowl in 1976.  That is four years of being somewhat relevant in the past 40 years.  Not a lot to go on.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

I heard that fsu talked to the officials about nd running picks and the Irish were previously warned. FWIW.

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on October 21, 2014, 11:39:58 PM
A really good angle on the ND - FSU "penalty"--shows just how BS the penalty was.

http://www.wsbt.com/sports/a-new-look-at-that-controversial-call-during-nd-vs-fsu/29232562

Yeah, no.

That is classic OPI pick play. The mistake made was by the QB who should have thrown the ball behind the LOS, which would make the downfield blocking legal.

If that should be seen by the officials as NOT offensive blocking, we are going to need to just throw the concept of offensive pass interference away.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

I did. The idea that the receiver was just trying to get open and the mean DB initiated the contact is giggly.

It takes a serious and dedicated lack of understanding of football to believe that ND was running trips to one side with a pass to the receiver behind the other two just over the LOS...and they were not trying to run a screen.

I've seen this play a thousand times - the difference between a receiver trying to run a route and a receiver trying to stop a DB from covering is obvious.

The ND QB made a mistake and threw the ball a yard or so too long. He shortens that throw as designed, and this is a great play.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Here is the definitive answer on this, from Rogers Redding, who is the national director of NCAA officiating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tYn7Yv6EYo#t=38

This is his weekly video he puts out for all NCAA officials to call out particular plays.

The Arizona illegal forwards pass/roughing play is in there as well, which was a rather bizarrely handled play in the Arizona-USC game. Not sure how the officials got the idea that you could not have roughing because the pass was potentially illegal.

I wonder if they just missed the roughing entirely, but the replay official told them they needed to enforce it after reviewing (and correctly overturning) the illegal forward pass call.

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on October 22, 2014, 07:14:41 AM
You should watch the video.
You should watch the play, ignoring the commentary.  You will see, as everyone has who has looked at this without knowing what they will see ahead of time, that the call is so obviously correct as to need no weaselly commentary.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: PDH on October 21, 2014, 08:34:25 PM
By a while back you mean 1996 when Joe Tiller was the coach and Wyoming went 10-2 (and didn't go to a bowl game despite finishing 20th in the country).

18 years is a long time ago...before that it was the late 80s and two WAC champion teams.  Before that it was a Fiesta Bowl in 1976.  That is four years of being somewhat relevant in the past 40 years.  Not a lot to go on.

Yeah, well that's our burden to bear for following "have-not" teams.  I've come to terms with WVU having peaked during the RichRod era through the Orange Bowl win, and that it may never come close to reaching those heights again in my lifetime.  Actually helps me enjoy each win that much more.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I noticed the Thundering Turds are ranked.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on October 22, 2014, 07:20:09 AM
I did. The idea that the receiver was just trying to get open and the mean DB initiated the contact is giggly.

It takes a serious and dedicated lack of understanding of football to believe that ND was running trips to one side with a pass to the receiver behind the other two just over the LOS...and they were not trying to run a screen.

I've seen this play a thousand times - the difference between a receiver trying to run a route and a receiver trying to stop a DB from covering is obvious.

The ND QB made a mistake and threw the ball a yard or so too long. He shortens that throw as designed, and this is a great play.
I also like that the commentator in Dorsey's video stopped it each time just before the play actually reached the point where the foul occurred, and asked boneheaded "is that a penalty?"  The one time he actually ran through the point at which the foul occurred, he stepped in front of the player committing the foul on the TV screen.  Pretty giggly stuff, indeed, and I understand why this guy is a small time radio talk show host.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Rasputin

Quote from: grumbler on October 22, 2014, 10:21:46 AM
Quote from: Berkut on October 22, 2014, 07:20:09 AM

I also like that the commentator in Dorsey's video stopped it each time just before the play actually reached the point where the foul occurred, and asked boneheaded "is that a penalty?"  The one time he actually ran through the point at which the foul occurred, he stepped in front of the player committing the foul on the TV screen.  Pretty giggly stuff, indeed, and I understand why this guy is a small time radio talk show host.

Perhaps if the notre dame receivers hadnt done such a great text book job of driving their blocks, the referees might have held their hankies?

of course when one is a hurritard like dorsey, one must go against the noles even if it means becoming a domer for a week
Who is John Galt?

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 22, 2014, 09:48:54 AM
I noticed the Thundering Turds are ranked.

Yeah.  Their fans are all geeked up about being undefeated on their 133rd-ranked SoS and have penciled themselves in as a playoff team.