News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2014-2015

Started by sbr, April 10, 2014, 06:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on August 15, 2014, 04:41:26 PM
I think it is only my quest.  I have tried to convince others that Wyoming being the Big 12 doormat is better than what we have now, but they aren't listening.  They don't understand traveling to Texas every other year to drink boiling water out of the bubblers.

If you were a conference foe you would come down in November when the water would be lukewarm.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on August 15, 2014, 03:47:56 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 15, 2014, 01:17:48 PM
Big sex and academic fraud scandal seems to be going on at old Notre Dame. 

Since catholic girls don't put out until they are married, it is probably a gay sex scandal too.

Well there is a news conference at 6 pm today, EST I presume, for all the sordid details. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Since catholic girls don't put out until they are married,

:lol:

I'd accuse you of being ironic, but you're too sociopathic and Assburgery to conceptualize irony.

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2014, 08:21:30 AM

I'd accuse you of being ironic, but you're too sociopathic and Assburgery to conceptualize irony.

Maybe you should reevaluate your assessment of my sociopathy and assburgery. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on August 16, 2014, 11:33:51 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2014, 08:21:30 AM

Maybe you should reevaluate your assessment of my sociopathy and assburgery. :)

In a reevaluation I just conducted, my original findings are supported. 

katmai

Of the two of you only one went to Notte Dame, the other just wishes he had.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on August 16, 2014, 03:48:25 PM
Of the two of you only one says he went to Notte Dame, the other just wishes he had.

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 15, 2014, 01:17:48 PM
Big sex and academic fraud scandal seems to be going on at old Notre Dame. 

Since catholic girls don't put out until after they are married, it is probably a gay sex scandal too.
FTFY
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

BTW, Berkut, I noticed that your Pac-12 corrspondent is a bit behind the times.  He argued that
QuoteThere is a big reason the other conferences can't [argue that they won't play nine conference games]: They don't want to.
when the Big Ten is doing so next year.  They decided to do so the same year the Pac-12 decided to do so (and for the same reasons:  better football for the fans) but had to put it off for two years because they foolishly decided to add Maryland and Rutgers.

I agree with the argument that the Pac-12 is the second-best conference, though.  The Big Ten won't start challenging that until Michigan and Pen State return to form.  I think that this is the year Michigan starts the return to form, though, and wouldn't be completely flabbergasted if Penn State didn't start the march back this year as well.  I'm just not sold on Franklin yet.  Too much snake oil there.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

James Franklin is an awesome coach.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on August 17, 2014, 10:19:54 PM
James Franklin is superficially an awesome coach.
FTFY.

I'm not saying that he isn't a great coach, I am just saying that I am not sold yet.  He has the appearance of an excellent coach, but also the faint stench of a douchbag.  We'll see.  A certain Michigan coach was all bright and shiny at one point, but only 15 of 52 recruits in his touted 2009 and 2010 classes ever survived to be seniors.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

BTW, I'd love it if ND has to surrender the winning percentage crown (in which they lead Michigan by less than one-one-thousandth of a percentage point) over an academic scandal.  That would be even sweeter than them losing it on the field (which would probably have happened this year anyway).

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on August 17, 2014, 10:54:53 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 17, 2014, 10:19:54 PM
James Franklin is superficially an awesome coach.
FTFY.

I'm not saying that he isn't a great coach, I am just saying that I am not sold yet.  He has the appearance of an excellent coach, but also the faint stench of a douchbag.  We'll see.  A certain Michigan coach was all bright and shiny at one point, but only 15 of 52 recruits in his touted 2009 and 2010 classes ever survived to be seniors.

No, I think he is an awesome coach based on what he did at Vanderbilt. He recruits like a motherfucker, but was still seriously outgunned at Vandy, and put together teams that no one wanted to play. I think Maryland regrets ever letting him get away.

He does have a faint stench of douchebag, but so what? Pete Carroll, Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrier, and Nick Saban are all douchebags, but they are winners. Hell, I'll admit that Brian Kelly is a douchebag too. OTOH, Ty Willingham seemed like a nice guy.

Unfortunately, being a douchebag isn't enough, as Charlie Weis discovered.

grumbler

When Franklin beats an SEC team that wins more game than it loses, that will be the first time.  He did beat up the dead underbelly of the SEC, but I'm just not sure that makes him a great coach.  He can recruit so far, but we will see if that stands the test of time. 

And Charlie Weiss still makes more than Brian Kelly, so your example is misplaced.

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on August 17, 2014, 11:41:01 PM
When Franklin beats an SEC team that wins more game than it loses, that will be the first time.  He did beat up the dead underbelly of the SEC, but I'm just not sure that makes him a great coach.  He can recruit so far, but we will see if that stands the test of time. 

And Charlie Weiss still makes more than Brian Kelly, so your example is misplaced.

I seem to remember him beating UGA, Florida and Tennessee at Vandy. Probably other solid programs I don't remember. Those schools may have had 500 records or less in the SEC the years he beat them, but they weren't exactly the "dead underbelly".

No one is going to be beat the top programs in the SEC at Vandy when the top programs are cranking, aside from a freak upset. Franklin's tenure represents peak vanderbilt.