News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2014-2015

Started by sbr, April 10, 2014, 06:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on October 27, 2014, 01:01:45 PM
Big Ten officials admit that they gave the game to OSU.  Apparently, the blatantly obvious non-interception interception call couldn't be overturned because the replay officials didn't have the replay feed, and the 49-yard OSU field goal made after the clock expired was just a fuckup.  That's pretty much 10 gratis points to OSU in a game that went to overtime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuCqE8tMfEs
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Anything to stop Pedo State is justified.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on October 27, 2014, 01:01:45 PM
Big Ten officials admit that they gave the game to OSU.  Apparently, the blatantly obvious non-interception interception call couldn't be overturned because the replay officials didn't have the replay feed,

OSU still had to go score though - and Penn State still failed to stop them. Yeah, they officials blew the call (those interceptions suck, because there is nobody in a good position to see them other than the R, and the R is not looking that way), but it's not like it was a sure thing that OSU could capitalize on the call.
and the 49-yard OSU field goal made after the clock expired was just a fuckup.  That's pretty much 10 gratis points to OSU in a game that went to overtime.

Well, it was after the play clock expired, so it's not quite the same thing as the game clock expiring, since it just means they kick it from a little further.

On the other hand, "a little further" being another 5 yards on top of an already 49 yard field goal is probably a pretty big precentage decrease in success...so yeah, that is a pretty big fuckup. And what is more, it is a weird fuckup - I don't even know how you would go about missing that. The back judge has responsibility for the play clock, with the R as secondary. I bet the back judge gets seriously downgraded. I wonder if I know him...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Might be a few spots opening on a Big 10 Crew for you Berkut!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

Well, the R in our organization who moved up to the MAC/B1G wasn't on the game :) So you could say I kind of replaced him in that his leaving is what opened up a referee position in our organization.

0 rows returned

Valmy

So if you were ever called upon to ref an Arizona game would you have to recuse yourself?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on October 27, 2014, 02:43:51 PM
So if you were ever called upon to ref an Arizona game would you have to recuse yourself?

Pfft, recuse, hell.  I know bookies we could go through 4 degrees of separation to work with.   :ph34r:

alfred russel

It has occurred to me that rather than spending my time going deep underground / incognito on languish I could have spent that time and effort doing the same in officiating.  :ph34r:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Berkut

Yeah, you aren't allowed to officiate a school you've attended. I don't think I could really be a Pac-12 official at all, to be honest - I like being a fan too much.

0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pac-12-passes-reforms-athletes-225928382--ncaaf.html

QuotePac-12 passes reforms for athletes

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The Pac-12 passed sweeping changes for athletes in all of the conference's sports Monday, guaranteeing four-year scholarships, improving health care benefits and liberalizing transfer rules.

The changes announced by the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors include many of the same proposals outlined in a letter to university leaders in the five major football conferences in May. The conference also said its presidents and chancellors reaffirmed their support for stipends to cover the full cost of attendance.

Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott has said that figure will likely range between $2,000 and $5,000 per athlete depending on the university.
The 65 institutions in the five major football conferences - granted autonomy by the NCAA earlier this year - and 15 representative athletes will vote on the issue at the group's inaugural meeting in January.

Washington State President Elson Floyd, the chairman of the Pac-12's CEO Group, said in a statement that the changes announced by the conference fulfill ''a promise we made when we announced our agenda for reform earlier this year.''

According to the Pac-12's new rules, all athletic scholarships will be guaranteed for four years and ''can neither be reduced nor canceled provided the student-athlete remains in good standing and meets his/her terms of the agreement.'' In addition, financial aid agreements offered to incoming athletes will be ''for no less than four academic years'' beginning in the 2015-16 academic year.

Starting in 2016-17, if an athlete leaves an institution in good standing and has completed at least 50 percent of their degree, they can ''return and receive necessary educational expenses for the remaining terms of the agreement.''

Medical expenses for athletes injured during their college careers will be covered up to four years after they leave school under a rule that goes into effect in 2015-16. Athletes who transfer between Pac-12 universities will be able to receive athletic scholarships immediately ''without restriction.''

The Pac-12 also said athletes will be represented in the conference's governance structure. Final recommendations on the structure will be determined by June.

Washington gymnast McKenzie Fechter, the chair of the Pac-12 Student Athlete Advisory Committee, praised the Pac-12 for adopting the changes.

''I'm proud to be a part of a conference that is pushing reform and doing more for student-athletes,'' Fechter said in a statement. ''These reforms are positive steps not only for those of us who are current student-athletes, but also for those who aspire to be Pac-12 student-athletes in the future.''

The Pac-12 also said its presidents and chancellors discussed how it could lessen the time demands on athletes. The conference said it will continue to examine the subject with athletes and leaders at the other major football conferences, which include the Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12 and Southeastern Conference.

''As a former student-athlete myself, I believe these reforms will mean a great deal to student-athletes in the Pac-12,'' Scott said in a statement. ''These reforms will ensure they enjoy a positive collegiate sports experience, and graduate with a meaningful college degree. This set of reforms also address various health and financial concerns that student-athletes have expressed to me in the many conversations I've had with them, while preserving the essence of the collegiate experience that has served so many student-athletes so well.

''I am very proud of the national leadership position our presidents, chancellors, athletics directors, senior women administrators, faculty athletic representatives, and other administrators have taken.''

Savonarola

Meanwhile in Michigan, their long statewide nightmare is over:

QuoteBrady Hoke, Mark Dantonio make amends after 'Stakegate'
Joe Rexrode and Mark Snyder, USA TODAY Sports 2:27 a.m. EDT October 27, 2014

Maybe one of them could have demonstrated better awareness. Maybe the other could have been less upset about the results.

Both felt compelled to talk about it Sunday, and now Michigan coach Brady Hoke and Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio should be all set to move forward from "Stakegate," as it will likely be known for years to come.

First, U-M issued an apology from Hoke on Sunday afternoon, a day after the Wolverines' 35-11 loss to MSU at Spartan Stadium. Before kickoff, U-M's Joe Bolden threw a stake into the ground, surrounded by several teammates, and they followed with gestures toward the MSU sideline.

"I want to publicly apologize to coach Dantonio as well as the players and supporters of Michigan State for our act of poor sportsmanship displayed pre-game yesterday," Hoke said in his statement. "I spoke with Mark earlier today and expressed to him that we meant no disrespect to his team. During our regular Friday night team meeting, one of the topics presented to motivate our team was a history lesson addressing commitment and teamwork in a tough environment. A tent stake was presented to the team as a symbol of this concept.

"The stake was brought into our locker room as a visual reminder, and one of our team leaders chose to take it out on the field. As the leader of our football program, I take full responsibility for the actions of our team. We believe in displaying a high level of respect at the University of Michigan and unfortunately that was not reflected by this action prior to kickoff."

Later Sunday, Dantonio had his usual teleconference with reporters to discuss the previous day's game – moved up 15 minutes, likely in anticipation of a longer-than-usual discussion. Dantonio and his players were openly offended by the gesture right after the game, and he said MSU's late decision to go for a touchdown rather than kneel "shoved it" back at the Wolverines.

On Sunday, Dantonio said he wanted to keep his call with Hoke private, but he reiterated what he has said many times – that "Brady and I have a great relationship, I have a lot of respect for him."

"It's my feeling as a person -- not as coach, as a person -- that I don't really care to cause pain for anybody," Dantonio said. "That's not why I'm here. So I'm good to do. We'll focus on the future."

Stakegate, the greatest scandal in the history of the Paul Bunyan Trophy.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

What's the big deal with a tent stake?  :huh:

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

The inaugural top-25 for the ESPN-SEC Invitational National Championship is out.

0 rows returned