Mozilla CEO resigns because of Prop 8 donation in 2008

Started by Barrister, April 04, 2014, 01:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2014, 11:59:48 AM
Sullivan addresses that argument here:

Sullivan misses the point badly.  This isnt about working side by side with people who have different beliefs.  This person was the CEO and as such was the face and voice of the corporation.  Of course an organization will be very senstive to making sure that their face and voice is exactly as they would want it to be.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on April 08, 2014, 04:18:05 AM
Yeah, it's a bit weird. I suppose they figure it matches their target demographics; or perhaps someone senior there feels strongly about the issue.
On this it turns out the CEO of OkCupid has donated to Congressmen who've voted for constitutional bans on gay marriage and against anti-discrimination legislation. So I think we can safely assume it was a marketing stunt.

I agree with Andrew Sullivan on this.

And if we're going to swap histrionic article's here's mine:
http://igfculturewatch.com/2014/04/07/silence-isnt-golden/
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 08, 2014, 12:15:22 PM
And if we're going to swap histrionic article's here's mine:
http://igfculturewatch.com/2014/04/07/silence-isnt-golden/

I'm not sure there was even any attempt at common theme or logic in that article.

Besides, we silence outmoded views all the time (re:sexism, racism).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Iormlund on April 08, 2014, 11:56:49 AM
I would also get fired if I insulted my clients. So I don't, no matter how much they deserve it (and many do). Am I being intimidated? Are my Free Speech rights being infringed?

Really?  You'd get fired if a client of yours said they were insulted by your support for free speech?  And you don't think that any of your rights were being infringed by said firing?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on April 08, 2014, 12:44:27 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on April 08, 2014, 11:56:49 AM
I would also get fired if I insulted my clients. So I don't, no matter how much they deserve it (and many do). Am I being intimidated? Are my Free Speech rights being infringed?

Really?  You'd get fired if a client of yours said they were insulted by your support for free speech?  And you don't think that any of your rights were being infringed by said firing?

Or more specifically - that you should be fired because you made a political donation to a cause that your clients found offensive?

It's trite to say that you shouldn't discuss religion or politics in polite conversation.  I think a necessary corollary is that if you do discover someone's religious or political views, you should not hold it against them unless there's a specific reason.

Thus, even if you can't stand creationists, or marxists, or gay marriage opponents, as part of a liberal democracy you should find that they are entitled to their wrong-headed beliefs.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2014, 12:14:14 PM
Of course an organization will be very senstive to making sure that their face and voice is exactly as they would want it to be.

Well obviously not that sensitive since they promoted him after knowing what he had done for several years.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 08, 2014, 12:19:19 PMBesides, we silence outmoded views all the time (re:sexism, racism).

I have only ever seen that happen if somebody is an outspoken racist or sexist.  I have not seen information somebody thought was private being dug up to justify going after somebody years later.  Geez we would have seen the dismissal of loads of old people with old fashioned views in top positions over the decades if we had.  Well heck we probably could do that now if we go digging.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2014, 01:06:26 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 08, 2014, 12:19:19 PMBesides, we silence outmoded views all the time (re:sexism, racism).

I have only ever seen that happen if somebody is an outspoken racist or sexist.  I have not seen information somebody thought was private being dug up to justify going after somebody years later.  Geez we would have seen the dismissal of loads of old people with old fashioned views in top positions over the decades if we had.  Well heck we probably could do that now if we go digging.

I wouldn't have any complaints if a company asked its CEO to resign when they uncovered that he had donated to racist organizations in the past. :mellow:

Btw, given that donors have to report info on themselves in California so it'd be odd if they expected the information to be private.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on April 08, 2014, 01:14:07 PM
I wouldn't have any complaints if a company asked its CEO to resign when they uncovered that he had donated to racist organizations in the past. :mellow:

Would you have any complaints if a company asked its CEO to resign because he had donated to pro-gay marriage organizations?

Valmy

So if it came out a CEO had donated money to help the campaign to pass Proposition 187 in 1994 you would agree they should be forced from office?

QuoteBtw, given that donors have to report info on themselves in California so it'd be odd if they expected the information to be private.

Well then why not get that list and go after everybody in high positions who donated?  Might as well try to get everybody to think correctly at once.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2014, 01:15:41 PM

Would you have any complaints if a company asked its CEO to resign because he had donated to pro-gay marriage organizations?

I'd of course dislike that they were on the wrong side of the issue (aka tolerance) but I wouldn't take issue with them stifling free speech. I think there was recently some Christian charity that was going to recognize same sex partners of employees for benefits but then did an about face because of complaints from other Christian groups/supporters of the charity. I dislike that outcome but understand why that happens.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2014, 01:21:27 PM
So if it came out a CEO had donated money to help the campaign to pass Proposition 187 in 1994 you would agree they should be forced from office?

Should be? I think we already discussed that I don't really hold any shoulds on forcing people out. I'm not even sure the case you noted is a clear racism one as I could see people supporting as a way of making sense of our bizarre immigration laws.

Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2014, 01:21:27 PM
Well then why not get that list and go after everybody in high positions who donated?  Might as well try to get everybody to think correctly at once.

I definitely know that I spoke to this earlier in the thread when I noted that the demand that it must be all-or-nothing is ridiculous.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2014, 12:54:17 PM
Thus, even if you can't stand creationists, or marxists, or gay marriage opponents, as part of a liberal democracy you should find that they are entitled to their wrong-headed beliefs.

There are circumstances in which a Creationist would never be tolerated (The Science Chair at a university for example) or a Marxist (The Executive Director of a free market think tank for example) or a gay marriage opponent (The CEO of a corporation who's customer base is largely on the other side of that issue for example).

The Brain

I think the thread wah pedals can relax. No one cares that IKEA founder Ingvar Kamprad was a Nazi in his youth. So you're safe on the losing side of the culture wars. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on April 08, 2014, 02:18:11 PM
I think the thread wah pedals can relax. No one cares that IKEA founder Ingvar Kamprad was a Nazi in his youth. So you're safe on the losing side of the culture wars. :)

We assume the worst of Swedes  :)