Main Menu

Harford 1, Japan Nil

Started by CountDeMoney, March 31, 2014, 10:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

SO SOLLY SUCKAS, ROR

QuoteU.N. court orders stay on Japanese Antarctic whaling
washingtonpost.com

THE HAGUE — The International Court of Justice on Monday ordered a temporary halt to Japan's Antarctic whaling program, ruling that it is not for scientific purposes, as the Japanese government had claimed.

Australia had sued Japan at the United Nations' highest court for resolving disputes between nations in hopes of ending whaling in the icy Southern Ocean.

Reading a 12 to 4 decision by the court's 16-judge panel, Presiding Judge Peter Tomka said Japan had given no reason for its target of 850 minke whales annually and often did not meet the goal. Japan gave no defense of why it needed to kill that many for study purposes, Tomka said. And the "research" program had produced just two peer-reviewed scientific papers since 2005.

All that cast doubt on Japan's assertion that its whaling is for scientific purposes, he said.

"The court concludes that the special permits granted by Japan for the killing, taking, and treating of whales . . . are not 'for purposes of scientific research,' " Tomka said.

The court ordered Japan to halt any issuing of whaling permits at least until the program has been thoroughly revamped.

Noriyuki Shikata, a spokesman for the Japanese Foreign Affairs Ministry, told reporters that the country "regrets and is deeply disappointed" by the decision. But "as a state that respects the rule of law . . . and as a responsible member of the global community, Japan will abide by the ruling of the court," he said.

Former Australian environment minister Peter Garrett, who helped launch the suit four years ago, said he felt vindicated by the decision.

"I'm absolutely over the moon, for all those people who wanted to see the charade of scientific whaling cease once and for all," Garrett told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio. "I think [this] means without any shadow of a doubt that we won't see the taking of whales in the Southern Ocean in the name of science."

Although the decision is a major victory for Australia and environmental groups that oppose whaling on ethical grounds, it will not mean the end of whaling. Japan has a second, smaller scientific program in the northern Pacific, which also may be subject to challenge. Meanwhile, Norway and Iceland reject outright a 1986 moratorium on commercial whaling imposed by the International Whaling Commission.

Japan had argued that Australia's suit was an attempt to force its cultural norms on Japan, equivalent to Hindus demanding an international ban on the killing of cows.

Ideologue

I hope it gets enforced by an American carrier battle group.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Now it's time to take on the Norwegistanis and those weirdo blonde people from that volcanic island.

Ideologue

Indeed.  They also lack effective navies and can be easily brought to heel.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I'd support Iceland being hit by a CVBG.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

I'd whisk her away to an undisclosed location for her personal safety.  One with Hot Wheels tracks.  ITS NOT OH SO QUIET NOW IS IT BITCH

Ed Anger

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 31, 2014, 10:26:06 PM
I hate Bjork.

<_<

If you complain once more, you'll meet an army of me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

garbon

Ed Anger

Bjork reminds me of the weird woman at the grocery store that hangs around in the produce section.