Discovered Art Challenges Views of Native American History

Started by Queequeg, March 28, 2014, 09:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on March 31, 2014, 02:01:01 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 29, 2014, 12:25:05 AM
The National Museum of the American Indian in DC has one of the coolest cafes you'll ever find in a museum.  They have regional samplers not just from North American tribes, but the entire hemisphere.  I highly recommend it.

Samplers of what?  Tobacco?

Raciss.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on March 31, 2014, 02:29:55 PM
Quote from: KRonn on March 31, 2014, 02:15:47 PM
These are some interesting findings. I've always wondered if people also came to the Americas via Africa or the pacific islands. The Islanders were huge travelers, covering vast distances. It'll be interesting to see how it all works out with these findings or if they're debunked.

I read recently that there is strong evidence that Pacific islanders made contact with South America.  This isn't the article I had read but it delves into more detail re: the DNA analysis that was done: http://phys.org/news/2013-01-sweet-potato-dna-early-polynesians.html
Well, I didn't realize the Polynesian migrations were so recent, but it's interesting to see that trips to South America were likely made by them or maybe even by the South American natives. I wonder if African people ever migrated but probably not as the Europeans took so long and they had more seafaring experience over a long time period. The Vikings made the journey but that was recent by comparison to the settling of the Americas by the Native Americans. 

Josquius

Isn't a limited ice age settlement from the east (in addition to the main bulk from Asia) accepted these days?
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 31, 2014, 07:59:57 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 31, 2014, 07:28:52 PM
Food, ya dolt.

I'm sure they'd have crackers for derspiess.

I'm not familiar with Native American cuisine.  Is it actually good, or is it just something that quasi-hipsters like yourself pretend is good?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

The aztecs had a drink that they fermented in their mouths.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I prefer the bold taste of Kiowa cuisine and its characteristic tangy spicy flavor than the comparatively blander fare of the Karankawas.  Bleh.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on April 01, 2014, 08:17:50 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 31, 2014, 07:59:57 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 31, 2014, 07:28:52 PM
Food, ya dolt.

I'm sure they'd have crackers for derspiess.

I'm not familiar with Native American cuisine.  Is it actually good, or is it just something that quasi-hipsters like yourself pretend is good?

They are beekeeping now. The hipsters, not the injuns.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 01, 2014, 09:13:21 AM
They are beekeeping now. The hipsters, not the injuns.

At least they're doing something productive. 

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

There's been a upsurge in ironic beekeeping?  I've never trusted bees, not after one stung me in the eye as a child.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017