News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most un-PC Belief?

Started by Queequeg, March 28, 2014, 12:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on March 29, 2014, 09:28:06 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 28, 2014, 04:13:01 AMThe jury is still out on that. The PRC has certainly been making huge strides in the past 30 years without adopting those policies. The Nazis and Soviets both were formidable war machines.

I'm quite fond of China, but the internal problems are too much for it to outcompete the West. No way, no how. The corruption and waste alone is monumental, and the processes for correcting errors are orders of magnitude more liable to being subverted compared to the West.

AFAIK, the Nazis have a formidable reputation primarily because of the timing, their own propaganda, and a need to rehabilitate them somewhat after their defeat. Their economic organization was terrible. Can't speak too much to the Soviets, but my impression that they had some serious economic inefficiencies as well.

I still think China will become a democracy eventually.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on March 30, 2014, 02:33:01 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2014, 11:14:17 PM
I think y'all are using a much too broad definition of PC.  There are a specific group of people who use the term non-ironically (or used to) and specific statements they use it for.

If you say God doesn't exist no one is going to say, gosh that's not very PC.

The only people who used "politically incorrect" non-ironically were bona fide Maoists and their Soviet equivalents. There may have been a tiny segment of English speaking English hard leftists who used it seriously for a brief moment, but any currency it had in Western leftist circles was ironically and/or with self-deprecation; and that too, was only for a brief moment before it was seized with great relish as a term of dismissal by those who wish to register opposition to PC.

The number of people who ever used "politically correct" in earnest, approvingly, and in English is vanishingly small.
The term may be a caricature now, but the concept very much exists.  Some opinions which are not necessarily off-base are pretty dangerous to express in "polite company".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2014, 06:16:29 AM

Silly person.  And what's worse: a silly, optimistic, narrow-minded round eye who honestly believes democracy is for everybody, when clearly it's not.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2014, 07:51:45 AM

Silly person.  And what's worse: a silly, optimistic, narrow-minded round eye who honestly believes democracy is for everybody, when clearly it's not.

It works for Taiwan.  Besides our old enemy is back, Russia.  No need to get hysterical over China anymore.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2014, 09:29:24 AM

It works for Taiwan.  Besides our old enemy is back, Russia.  No need to get hysterical over China anymore.

Does America alway need one big enemy to focus on?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

It took Taiwan decades to get over Chaingism, and the US to bankroll it.
Russia's a sideshow, and completely irrelevant to US geopolitical priorities.  Just a really big Venezuela.
Russia's a sideshow.

Razgovory

We can't base foreign policy on your sexual hangups with Asian chicks.

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2014, 10:10:22 AM
Sure we can.

There's not enough bondage gear in the world to "contain" China.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2014, 10:06:29 AM
We can't base foreign policy on your sexual hangups with Asian chicks.

Hell, maybe Chinese foreign policy is being part driven by their response to the way Money's 'handled' asian women.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Siege

I don't have any un-PC belief.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: Jacob on March 29, 2014, 09:28:06 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 28, 2014, 04:13:01 AMThe jury is still out on that. The PRC has certainly been making huge strides in the past 30 years without adopting those policies. The Nazis and Soviets both were formidable war machines.

I'm quite fond of China, but the internal problems are too much for it to outcompete the West. No way, no how. The corruption and waste alone is monumental, and the processes for correcting errors are orders of magnitude more liable to being subverted compared to the West.

AFAIK, the Nazis have a formidable reputation primarily because of the timing, their own propaganda, and a need to rehabilitate them somewhat after their defeat. Their economic organization was terrible. Can't speak too much to the Soviets, but my impression that they had some serious economic inefficiencies as well.

That's why everybody here thinks you are a retard.

Siege

Quote from: mongers on March 30, 2014, 09:31:22 AM

Does America alway need one big enemy to focus on?

Everybody does. Look at what happened to Europe after the Cold War.

Siege

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 30, 2014, 09:54:03 AM

It took Taiwan decades to get over Chaingism, and the US to bankroll it.
Russia's a sideshow, and completely irrelevant to US geopolitical priorities.  Just a really big Venezuela.
Russia's a sideshow.

Totally agree.

Siege

Quote from: Queequeg on March 28, 2014, 05:52:09 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 28, 2014, 01:16:25 PM
I don't believe in a generally open franchise. I believe the electorate should be small and qualified in some manner, I'm essentially anti-democratic.
How would you restrict it? 

Income tax payers?
People that don't have a stake in the well-being of the Nation should not be allowed to vote.