News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most un-PC Belief?

Started by Queequeg, March 28, 2014, 12:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Brazen on March 28, 2014, 10:36:42 AM
I believe there should be some sort of exam and certificate in parenting for anyone planning to breed.

This is a liberal conspiracy to reduce our national birth rate.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Queequeg on March 28, 2014, 05:52:09 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 28, 2014, 01:16:25 PM
I don't believe in a generally open franchise. I believe the electorate should be small and qualified in some manner, I'm essentially anti-democratic.
How would you restrict it?

I wouldn't restrict it so much as I'd eliminate the whole concept as we have it now that voting is an intrinsic right of citizenship. Instead, voting would be seen as a special privilege that could be earned, and no one would be entitled to it by default.

I'd offer a few different paths, but would want some combination of both effort and competency. It'd be a balancing act, so maybe a lot of effort can justify it with diminished competency and vice versa.

As a baseline I'd envision some sort of national service organization that oversees volunteer work. You'd need to be a member of this organization for two years, during which time you'd be doing volunteer work on a strictly part time basis. It would be a level of commitment such that you could still expect to be a full time student or a full time worker and still be a productive member of the organization. It would mostly just coordinate activities with existing volunteer organizations and such and wouldn't have a huge amount of bureaucracy itself. To be eligible to participate in this organization you would need to have a High School diploma or GED (in fact without those, I'd not want a path to you ever voting.)

So that's sort of the base line model for me, take anyone with a HS equivalent education and they give two years of part-time service and they can now vote. There would be ways to reduce this.

So for example you're a well off entrepreneur, you have no college degree  but you do have a HS diploma. You also have a lot of money. I'd say you could pay a fee equal to the labor-value of the two years of part time volunteer work and that counts as your required effort and now you can vote. I'd imagine this number at current wage averages might work out to $20,000-$25,000 or so. Perhaps make these fees payable to the service organization to fund ongoing activities.

Maybe a college degree holder only needs to do one year of service as they are generally more demonstrably competent than someone with just a HS diploma. But I'd also like to see colleges push membership in the service organization in general, or even make it part some of the degree program so we'd already have two years out of some college graduates.

Maybe a highly credentialed professional like a doctor or lawyer would just need to file an application and they'd get their voter card, or professions that are geared heavily toward the public interest (teachers, maybe, fire fighters, police officers.) But even people who I'd let in just based on those criteria it still wouldn't be default, you'd have to fill out an application and request your voter card. That's important as it weeds out all the people that might hold those sort of credentials but who are too lazy to give a shit.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 30, 2014, 02:09:13 PM
Maybe a college degree holder only needs to do one year of service as they are generally more demonstrably competent than someone with just a HS diploma.

Oooooooooooooh, I don't know about that one.  :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on March 29, 2014, 09:40:25 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2014, 11:13:55 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 28, 2014, 11:12:59 AM
That's funny, Liberals thinks conservatives are preventing them from speaking the truth.

The really funny part is neither of them ever do.

Never do what? Speak the truth, or prevent others from speaking it?

Yes
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

My most un-PC belief is that I think public schooling is a net negative for society.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Queequeg

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 30, 2014, 05:03:50 PM
My most un-PC belief is that I think public schooling is a net negative for society.
:hmm:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Cause parents do it so much better?  :lmfao:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

I don't think home schooling should be legal.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 30, 2014, 05:18:25 PM
Cause parents do it so much better?  :lmfao:

Yes?  :P

It's actually the Prussian system that's the problem. Obviously it can't be replaced with nothing, but literally anything else would be better than this.

Queequeg

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Queequeg on March 30, 2014, 05:20:58 PM

I would not allow you to vote.  :lol:

HVC

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 30, 2014, 05:23:59 PM

over 50% of Americans don't believe in evolution as it is, If you got rid of schools and enforced homeschooling you'd be so screwed.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

MadImmortalMan

I just want to replace them with something better.

Queequeg

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 30, 2014, 05:23:59 PM

I was homeschooled briefly, my sisters were homeschooled briefly, and many of my cousins were homeschooled.  All were disasters.  It is a completely terrible idea unless you are an aristocratic landowner who can hire Voltaire to teach your heir.  Public school imparts values of citizenship and critical thinking that those who homeschool with an ideological agenda purposefully avoid. 

HVC

If you could beat parents for their kids stupidity kids would be a lot smarter :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.