News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most un-PC Belief?

Started by Queequeg, March 28, 2014, 12:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I guess there are varying definitions here.  To me PC is avoiding saying something you believe to be true because it will cause a large number of people to be offended (or pretend to be offended).  I've always thought that political correctness in some form existed both on the right and left, though more often on the left.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: LaCroix on March 28, 2014, 10:44:21 AM
the hate people have for monsanto is ridiculous and based on fear of gmo, ignorance of law, and/or belief in misrepresented facts
Not entirely.  There are some real ethical questions about patenting lifeforms.

At any rate, most of my beliefs are rather offensive to someone or other.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2014, 09:59:17 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on March 28, 2014, 08:35:55 AM
When I was in graduate school I used to count up the number of white people in the class.  The more white people the larger the curve; and any class that was more than 25% white was a free A.  This is because white people are spoiled, lazy and stupid.   :(

And those are just are the ones who go to Grad school for Engineering.  You cannot imagine how spoiled, lazy, and stupid I am being a white dude in undergrad.

It boggles the mind.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on March 28, 2014, 12:05:56 PM

Yeah :(

Oh by the way I started asking around FE test and it seems they have prep classes here and you can take it whenever you want since it is computerized now.  Things that would have been cool to mention to me when I first enrolled :P

Maybe I can take the prep class and take it before my last semester, though I understand the thing has like a 40% failure rate which is probably much higher for white people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2014, 11:55:20 AMNot entirely.  There are some real ethical questions about patenting lifeforms.

At any rate, most of my beliefs are rather offensive to someone or other.

but that's not an ethical question monsanto is confronted with. that's for the patent agencies

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2014, 12:14:48 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on March 28, 2014, 12:05:56 PM

Yeah :(

Oh by the way I started asking around FE test and it seems they have prep classes here and you can take it whenever you want since it is computerized now.  Things that would have been cool to mention to me when I first enrolled :P

Maybe I can take the prep class and take it before my last semester, though I understand the thing has like a 40% failure rate which is probably much higher for white people.

When you see those failure rates don't panic; remember that all Civil Engineers take that exam.

(Hey, there's another un-PC thought...)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2014, 11:49:18 AM
I guess there are varying definitions here.  To me PC is avoiding saying something you believe to be true because it will cause a large number of people to be offended (or pretend to be offended).  I've always thought that political correctness in some form existed both on the right and left, though more often on the left.

So if someone says that it's not PC to say blacks are inferior it means he believes it to be true but something he can not say?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2014, 09:33:27 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 28, 2014, 09:28:39 AM
I doubt that's true.

There definitely is a common body of "politically correct" thoughts, the large majority of which are fairly uncontroversial to the vast majority - even Admiral Yis.  For example I'm pretty sure Yi believes in the equality of the races, in private enterprise, and private property.

Equality under the law hardly qualifies as PC.  If one were to say "I think a white man and a black man should get the same sentence for murder," the likelihood someone will say "oh, you're so PC" is very low.

PC is more inclined to be in favor of equality of outcome than equality of process.
Politically correct ideas are ideas that we wish were correct.  Otherwise they would be just correct, without any qualifiers. 

:hmm: I guess I also just answered the title question, now that I think of it.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2014, 12:31:07 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2014, 11:49:18 AM

So if someone says that it's not PC to say blacks are inferior it means he believes it to be true but something he can not say?

Okay, throw out the "believes to be true" part then, Raz.  I guess you can make a politically incorrect remark that you don't truly believe.  Jeez.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Women are good for 3 things:

Pleasuring men
Blasting crotchfruit out of their babycannons
Making sandwiches.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: Queequeg on March 28, 2014, 12:23:26 AM
I think that any kind of transsexualism that manifests as an urge for "gender reassignment surgery" is a pathology rather than a gender or a sexual orientation.  The urge to massive self-mutilation or castration is not a healthy one.   :ph34r:

That said I try very hard to be civil and polite with every transsexual I have ever met, and have purposefully avoided expressing my opinion on the matter. 

What is your least PC belief? 
I believe that all religions are human construction and that God does not exist.

Not really un-pc in Quebec, but in rural Alberta or Southern US, that would certainly warrant crucifixion.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on March 28, 2014, 12:57:28 PM
I believe that all religions are human construction and that God does not exist.

Not really un-pc in Quebec, but in rural Alberta or Southern US, that would certainly warrant crucifixion.

I think you'd more likely get shrugged off and ignored than crucified for that these days in the South.  And if you were in a university town, someone would probably buy you a drink.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on March 28, 2014, 12:57:28 PM

That is not even a little bit un-PC.  Even in the Southern US.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Then Viper would yell WAR EAGLE! In Tuscaloosa. Then he'd be swinging from a lamp post.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 28, 2014, 01:04:19 PM
Then Viper would yell WAR EAGLE! In Tuscaloosa. Then he'd be swinging from a lamppost.

Okay now that might happen.