What are your thoughts on onions?

Started by merithyn, March 26, 2014, 01:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2014, 01:23:50 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 27, 2014, 01:16:43 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 27, 2014, 12:18:11 PM
Did Meri: lose the thread :hmm:

Nah. I just wanted to complain about onions being in everything and lazy cooks destroying good food that way. Now that I've done that, make the thread what you want. :)

Cooking with onions is lazy?

Have you ever actually tried cooking with onions?

Yes. I cook with them all of the time. Just because I dislike them doesn't mean that my family does. There are times when onions and green peppers are necessary (in red sauces, for example), but they are certainly not necessary in all of the dishes one finds them in. The easy and cheap way to flavor foods is to use onions and peppers. It takes creativity to find other, better ways to flavor dishes.

To me, the overuse of onions is the same as the overuse of salt or butter. Sure, it's got its uses, but not everything is better for the addition of onions.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2014, 01:32:57 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2014, 01:18:55 PM
i propose we turn this into a thread to slag on Meri.

All the food threads though have finally answered one of languish's eternal mysteries - how did a shy mennonite lad from northern Alberta hook up with a brash illinois mother of four?

Apparently, they bonded over them both having completely irrational food dislikes.

Nah... it was our hatred of trolls that did it. ;)

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2014, 04:04:26 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 27, 2014, 04:02:56 PM

Preferred Orcs eh?
There's a difference? They smell pretty much the same.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2014, 04:04:26 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 27, 2014, 04:02:56 PM

Preferred Orcs eh?

Clearly I had a thing for Vashir rogues. :D

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on March 27, 2014, 04:00:38 PM
To me, the overuse of onions is the same as the overuse of salt or butter. Sure, it's got its uses, but not everything is better for the addition of onions.
I actually can't think of a dish that doesn't need salting :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 27, 2014, 04:18:37 PM

Really? I rarely use salt when cooking. Again, there are some dishes that do better with it, but certainly not all.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on March 27, 2014, 04:22:22 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 27, 2014, 04:18:37 PM

Really? I rarely use salt when cooking. Again, there are some dishes that do better with it, but certainly not all.

When I have time I really like to cook "from scratch", with all natural ingredients.

But that means no added salt in anything.  And, as a result, I've ruined (or made not as good) several meals by under-salting them.  I made a nice risotto last weekend, but it just seemed like it was missing "something".  Sure enough - salt.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2014, 04:28:20 PM
When I have time I really like to cook "from scratch", with all natural ingredients.

But that means no added salt in anything.  And, as a result, I've ruined (or made not as good) several meals by under-salting them.  I made a nice risotto last weekend, but it just seemed like it was missing "something".  Sure enough - salt.

Because both of my parents have high blood pressure, salt wasn't a common element in our foods. We had a salt shaker on the table for us kids, but it wasn't used in the actual cooking, so I don't add it by reflex.

When I cook, I taste for flavor as I go, and if I feel like it needs salt, I'll add it, but I don't always find it necessary. Not only that, but I use a lot of other spices when I cook, some of which have salt in them already (garlic salt/onion salt/celery salt/etc).

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on March 27, 2014, 04:28:20 PM

Yeah I cook from scratch and store food to have later. So I almost never add salt to food once it's cooked. But it's incredible that a large pinch of (sea) salt in a stew, or a teaspoon of soy can make a difference given that it's probably under 5g. Or a larger amount when boiling potatoes or pasta.

I think I probably eat less that way than if I didn't salt it while I was cooking and then salted at the table with each meal.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I usually don't add salt to what I cook, but I probably would if I did for others, I find I like unsalted foods more than the majority of people.

Some things you really must add salt to, though. Every time I make a tomato-based sauce or stew, for example, otherwise it will end up unpleasantly sweet and dull.

mongers

Oops nearly midnight, my tealoaf has to come out of the oven.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: mongers on March 27, 2014, 06:46:09 PM

It's odd, us only having a 4 hour time difference across the Atlantic right now.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on March 27, 2014, 06:46:09 PM

Mongers!! :hug:

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"