Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on September 21, 2014, 11:20:56 PM
This is crazy, I cannot believe this is not on every headline around the world.  We are sure waking up slowly to this.  It is just amazing the extent this is allowed to go on unchecked. 
Isn't this just another horrible thing we're ignoring in Africa? Famine and war kills so many more each day and yet that never headlines anywhere.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Liep on September 22, 2014, 01:57:22 AM
This is crazy, I cannot believe this is not on every headline around the world.  We are sure waking up slowly to this.  It is just amazing the extent this is allowed to go on unchecked. 
Isn't this just another horrible thing we're ignoring in Africa? Famine and war kills so many more each day and yet that never headlines anywhere.

It's exponential increase that's the problem. We could have the impact of thirty years of HIV in one year. This is going to cause failed states and regional economic collapse.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

One of the problems is the difficulty in seeing just what CAN be done.  However, I agree that it is odd, indeed, that there aren't more popular groups springing up for fundraising, volunteer mobilization, collecting materials, and whatnot.  You see that for famines that have this kind of scope for tragedy.  Is it possible that we have simple inured ourselves to tragedy in Africa? 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Liep

Quote from: grumbler on September 22, 2014, 05:02:04 AM
Is it possible that we have simple inured ourselves to tragedy in Africa? 
This is what I mean, the last positive story I heard out of Africa was about community farming, they were successful in educating the women instead of the men, which meant that the soil was actually attended to. They then showed pictures of farming women and men slovenly chewing khat in the shadow of a tree.

I agree  that this has the potential to become catastrophic, but there's still famine and HIV and what have you. People still remember that whole Kody affair too and coupled with stories of people raiding hospitals you just can't expect the west to mobilise before the really big numbers actually start ticking I'm.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Liep on September 22, 2014, 05:52:16 AM
you just can't expect the west to mobilise before the really big numbers actually start ticking I'm.
When the big numbers start rolling in nothing can be done. You'll have failed states, civil war, famine and refugees streaming into neighboring countries, bring the disease there. You have to stop these kinds of things at the start.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 22, 2014, 06:30:52 AM
you just can't expect the west to mobilise before the really big numbers actually start ticking I'm.
When the big numbers start rolling in nothing can be done. You'll have failed states, civil war, famine and refugees streaming into neighboring countries, bring the disease there. You have to stop these kinds of things at the start.
I think Liep is referring to popular mobilization, not stae and NGO mobilization, since he's replying to my query on popular mobilization.  I think he's probably put his finger on the issue.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

I am a bit concerned about this crap. Does the West have the balls to enforce a quarantine? Outlook, not so good.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Well, hey, as long as we live in a bubble and never touch anybody we're safe.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

You'll have failed states, civil war, famine and refugees streaming into neighboring countries, bring the disease there. You have to stop these kinds of things at the start.

Yes.  It would suck if that someday happened in Africa.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 22, 2014, 05:07:29 PM
You'll have failed states, civil war, famine and refugees streaming into neighboring countries, bring the disease there. You have to stop these kinds of things at the start.

Yes.  It would suck if that someday happened in Africa.

Yes.  Bad things are bad.  Weren't you supposed to be sleeping?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I agree  that this has the potential to become catastrophic, but there's still famine and HIV and what have you. People still remember that whole Kody affair too and coupled with stories of people raiding hospitals you just can't expect the west to mobilise before the really big numbers actually start ticking I'm.

Is there nobody else in the world besides the west?  I thought we had a UN and all these NGOs to handle things like this.  But they blew it and soon this is going to be a problem that will burn enormous resources and lives to contain.  Would have been nice when all it required was a few beds and doctors for one of the organizations that are supposed to handle that take care of it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

I'm not certain "the West" / NGOs really have the capability to stop the "exponential growth" - assuming that is what is going to come to pass. The reasons this is an outbreak in West Africa -- poor sanitation, lack of access to and trust in medical care, inadequate medical facilities, lack of effective quarantine control, etc., can't be realistically fixed in short order.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on September 22, 2014, 06:10:12 PM
I'm not certain "the West" / NGOs really have the capability to stop the "exponential growth" - assuming that is what is going to come to pass. The reasons this is an outbreak in West Africa -- poor sanitation, lack of access to and trust in medical care, inadequate medical facilities, lack of effective quarantine control, etc., can't be realistically fixed in short order.

Well the horse is a bit out of the barn now.  Since this was coming months away it would have been nice if they had made an effort say in May or June or something.  When there were a small number of cases medical assistance would have been decisive.  But, you know, probably a lot cheaper to fight the epidemic now than wait until it leads to a major catastrophe costing us billions.  I do not get the 'this is hard now...so lets wait until it is much harder and far more expensive'.  What sense does that make  :huh:

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2014, 05:37:09 PM

Is there nobody else in the world besides the west?

Depends on what you're asking.  If it's still why there aren't any headlines in the West which is what I responded to, then yes, there is only the West. :huh:

If not, then yes, there are NGOs, but they normally couldn't care less what headlines or not, they base their operations on what's needed as judged by professionals.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2014, 05:37:09 PM

Is there nobody else in the world besides the west?  I thought we had a UN and all these NGOs to handle things like this.  But they blew it and soon this is going to be a problem that will burn enormous resources and lives to contain.  Would have been nice when all it required was a few beds and doctors for one of the organizations that are supposed to handle that take care of it.
Doctors Without Borders has been giving it's all, but it just doesn't have the resources to supply the medical care needed for three nations of 20 million people.

1 Karma Chameleon point