Ebola and other Epidemics, Inadequate Healthcare Threatens Millions

Started by mongers, March 23, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 01, 2014, 07:59:24 AM
"The situation is catastrophic. There are several villages and communities that have been basically wiped out. In one of the villages I went to, there were 40 inhabitants and 39 died," he said.

The one who survived should be studied pronto.  :ph34r:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Good to see more international resources are getting to the region now.

I'm assuming, because Timmay isn't doom-spamming the thread,  that the situation is improving somewhat.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Well this story dropping out of the news seems to be good news. :fingers cross:

What do you think Tim?

mongers

Some more good news about Ebola, because Tim isn't here to post it:

Ebola crisis: New cases declining in West Africa

New Ebola cases in the three West African countries worst affected by the deadly outbreak of the virus are declining, weekly UN figures show.

Sierra Leone and Guinea both recorded the lowest weekly total of confirmed Ebola cases since August.

Liberia, which reported no new cases on two days last week, had its lowest weekly total since June.

The death toll from the world's worst Ebola outbreak has reached 8,429 with 21,296 cases so far.

According to the latest World Health Organization (WHO) report, Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone now all have sufficient capacity to bury all the people known to have died from Ebola.

But it said under-reporting of deaths meant that not all burials were being done safely.

Schools to open

While cases were decreasing in Sierra Leone, it remained the worst-affected country, with western areas still reporting the most new transmissions, the WHO said.

Last week, there were 59 new reported cases in the capital, Freetown.

The spirit of Freetown seems to be back with residents in the capital celebrating, albeit quietly, the low Ebola infection figures. For over a week the reported daily infections have been in single figures and on Tuesday there were only two deaths.

Like Premier League football fans, people converge at internet cafes and street corners to follow the daily updates. The usually grim faces are now grinning. The ubiquitous blaring of ambulance sirens has also reduced considerably. In fact, the national daily infection rate is around 20 - in November it was 60.

"Ebola is in trouble," says Ahmed Turay, a teenager who has not been to classes since July. "I look forward to returning to school," he says, smiling broadly.

The eastern district of Kailahun, which first recorded Ebola eight months ago, has had no cases for 35 days and the other former hotspot of Kenema has had only four cases since November. But the authorities are warning all to exercise caution, insisting Ebola is still here.

Full article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-30830129

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 15, 2015, 09:06:47 PM
That pic says so many things about that man.

You just can't let the hate go, even for a moment, can you?

jimmy olsen

It's a very good sign Mongers, but we got to see how the spring goes before declaring victory.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)