News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NFL Offseason Thread

Started by Neil, March 17, 2014, 03:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

What of the injustice done to my people? :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 31, 2014, 01:34:06 PM
Baby Brudder always trying to compete with Big Brudder:

I saw Big Brudder's statue this past weekend.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on September 02, 2014, 08:43:06 AM

:console:  Maybe one day African Americans will get a fair shot to compete in the NFL.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 02, 2014, 08:53:20 AM

:console:  Maybe one day African Americans will get a fair shot to compete in the NFL.

Field hands will never make it to the house staff, you know that.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 02, 2014, 08:53:20 AM

Why do you show such disrespect to garbon's diverse heritage :angry:

Anyway Michael Sam just needs to wait a bit for people to start getting injured.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2014, 10:08:15 AM
Anyway Michael Sam just needs to wait a bit for people to start getting injured.

He ought to make a political statement by renouncing his US citizenship and accepting the offer to play in the more enlightened CFL.

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on September 02, 2014, 12:51:00 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2014, 10:08:15 AM

He ought to make a political statement by renouncing his US citizenship and accepting the offer to play in the more enlightened CFL.

What's more enlightened about the CFL? :unsure:

I did read he's on the Als negotiation list, so him coming up to Canada is not out of the question.

Hmm just after typing this I went and checked - seems the Alouettes have even contacted Sam's camp:

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=460799
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

But that's Jim Pop schtick. He probably called Rodgers camp too considering the Als trouble at QB this year.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2014, 01:18:41 PM
What's more enlightened about the CFL? :unsure:

It's Canadian.  But I was also kidding.  The news down here was that he had been contacted by a CFL team but hadn't responded.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 02, 2014, 01:59:37 PM
But that's Jim Pop schtick. He probably called Rodgers camp too considering the Als trouble at QB this year.

Well it's not quite a schtick.  The Als only have so many spots on their negotiation list (35 IIRC), so you don't want to be dropping serious prospects in order to reach out and contact a publicity stunt candidate.

sbr

What the hell is a negotiation list?

Barrister

Quote from: sbr on September 02, 2014, 02:59:56 PM
What the hell is a negotiation list?

The CFL has a Canadian draft, but there is no draft for American players.   What they do have is a negotiation list.  Each team has 35 players on the negotiation list.  They can add or remove players on a regular basis.  If one team has a player on their list (in this case the Montreal Allouettes), then no other team can try to sign that player.

The lists are done in secret so we have no idea who is on each team's list unless it is mentioned in a news story (like this one).

So teams have to try and balance out which players will be good, but won't stick with an NFL club (and who might be amenable to coming to Canada).

sbr

If they are secret how do you know two teams don't have the same guy on their list?

Barrister

Quote from: sbr on September 02, 2014, 03:06:20 PM
If they are secret how do you know two teams don't have the same guy on their list?

Secret from the public (and the players involved), but not from each other.  I think the league office has the master list.  But it's all fairly secretive.

derspiess

Irsay got fined half a million.  Yeowch.