Started by Neil, March 17, 2014, 03:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2014, 08:10:27 AM
Brian Orakpo laughs at Aggies:

Have you guys noticed all the African names in the NFL? :smarty:

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2014, 08:00:08 PM
Hey Neil, be sure to catch the Foreskins-Ravens highlights tonight.  Steve Smith plays like this all season?  Wow.
I recorded the game off the NFL Network and watched it this morning.  I liked the play by both Smiths, but especially Steve.  That guy's compete level is just so high, and he is just so sure in making plays with the ball.  Even that one he double-clutched turned into a nice gain.  And that little nudge off the CB on that touchdown was magic.  It's like the second coming of Anquan Boldin, even if he's not quite as big.  He's definitely as hungry, and after spending all those years in the football gulag of Carolina, I can understand why.

I did find the running game a bit troubling though.  If that's all the push the line can get on those power running plays, then that's not so hot.  And did Pierce get concussed when he got blown up in the backfield?  Yikes.  The Polish Hammer did alright, aside from that one huge whiff.  I like watching him catch and run.  Less of a battering ram than Leach, but also a little more agile.  The all-sub corner corps is interesting.  I hope the real guys will be ready in two weeks.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2014, 11:32:17 AM
Quote from: Liep on August 21, 2014, 09:10:26 AM
Rihanna, Katy Perry and Coldplay are on the shortlist for the NFL Halftime Show. Great.

They should pay me to watch them.  Though I'd watch Katy Perry for free, with the sound turned down.

You probably hear enough Katy Perry when they play her during Bengals games.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on August 24, 2014, 11:12:14 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2014, 08:00:08 PM
Hey Neil, be sure to catch the Foreskins-Ravens highlights tonight.  Steve Smith plays like this all season?  Wow.
I recorded the game off the NFL Network and watched it this morning.  I liked the play by both Smiths, but especially Steve.  That guy's compete level is just so high, and he is just so sure in making plays with the ball.  Even that one he double-clutched turned into a nice gain.  And that little nudge off the CB on that touchdown was magic.  It's like the second coming of Anquan Boldin, even if he's not quite as big.  He's definitely as hungry, and after spending all those years in the football gulag of Carolina, I can understand why.

I did find the running game a bit troubling though.  If that's all the push the line can get on those power running plays, then that's not so hot.  And did Pierce get concussed when he got blown up in the backfield?  Yikes.  The Polish Hammer did alright, aside from that one huge whiff.  I like watching him catch and run.  Less of a battering ram than Leach, but also a little more agile.  The all-sub corner corps is interesting.  I hope the real guys will be ready in two weeks.

Running game is going to be as good bad as it was last year, so don't hold your breath on it improving this year.  Just have to hope that Kubiak puts a few wrinkles into the passing game before Flacco eventually collapses from running for his life.

I think the defense is going to surprise people.  As long as they're not on the field for 40 minutes a game.

Ratbirds prediction: 9-7.

derspiess

I won't jinx the Bengals by making any predictions.  I just hope run-blocking improves, they don't have any more key receivers injured, and defense can perform about as well as it did last year.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

If the Ginger Winger can avoid the turnovers in crunchtime, the Bengalis will remain competitive.

Syt

I expect the Steelers to suck.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Really, ESPN?  First Joe Flacco is ranked beneath Matt Ryan and Tony Romo, and now you're dissing Harbaugh, and ranking him beneath his more impatient, psychopath brother? 

And you people wonder why I have a problem with the entrenched anti-Baltimore sentiment in the NFL, NFL Properties and the Lamestream Media.  Fucking assholes.  I hope Ray Lewis knocks up all your white daughters.

QuoteAn ESPN poll of NFL front office personnel and coordinators had good things to say about Ravens coach John Harbaugh, who checks in among the top quarter of NFL head coaches.

Harbaugh came in ninth in the poll conducted by ESPN's Mike Sando, which asked 30 NFL industry sources to rate the coaches on a 1-5 scale, with one being best and five being the worst. The scores were then averaged, with the lowest average number being the best.

Harbaugh's score placed him firmly in the second-tier of NFL coaches and one spot behind his brother, Jim, who coaches the San Francisco 49ers.

Harbaugh's on-field success can't be questioned, as Sando points out. The Super Bowl XLVII winner has a career .651 winning percentage as a head coach, and the Ravens' 71 wins since he took over are second only to New England, whose coach, Bill Belichick, ranks atop this list.

The piece is behind ESPN's Insider paywall, so out of deference, I won't spoil the entire thing. Harbaugh likely won't be happy that he's just behind his brother, but he's in a tier with fellow Super Bowl winners Tom Coughlin (New York Giants), Mike McCarthy (Green Bay Packers), and Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers).

Ed Anger

ESPN is Bleacher Report with fancier graphics nowadays.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2014, 07:19:35 AM
and now you're dissing Harbaugh, and ranking him beneath his more impatient, psychopath brother? 

I WANT IT NOW!  I WANT CAKE NOW!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQzni6JZuGw#t=28
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

Looks like the Texans finally traded for Mallett and cut Keenum. 

E:  The intertubes are saying they sent a 6th to New England.  Basically nothing for nothing.

An article just showed up on CBS: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24689506/report-patriots-trade-qb-ryan-mallett-to-texans-for-6th-round-pick

E2:  Well now other places are saying a conditional 7th rounder.  Doesn't matter either way.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2014, 09:13:22 AM
and now you're dissing Harbaugh, and ranking him beneath his more impatient, psychopath brother? 

I WANT IT NOW!  I WANT CAKE NOW!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQzni6JZuGw#t=28

Baby Brudder always trying to compete with Big Brudder:

QuoteSan Jose police Sgt. Heather Randol confirmed that McDonald, 29, was taken into custody early Sunday after officers responded to a call at 2:48 a.m. PT.

McDonald was jailed on felony domestic violence charges and is in the custody of the Santa Clara Sheriff's Department, according to Randol. There is no timetable for McDonald's release since bail typically isn't set for domestic-violence cases until arraignment.

Niners general manager Trent Baalke said in a statement Sunday that the team takes "such matters seriously," but is not commenting on the allegations involving McDonald without more information.

The incident occurred on Bentley Ridge Drive, part of an upscale San Jose neighborhood. It is the same street where McDonald's teammate, star pass rusher Aldon Smith, was arrested for DUI following a single-car accident last September. Smith has been suspended nine games for multiple off-field incidents.

McDonald also has an arrest for DUI on his record in Santa Clara County in 2010.

Sunday's incident occurred less than three days after NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced tougher penalties for players accused of domestic violence. Under the league's newly implemented personal conduct policy, a first domestic-violence offense will result in a six-game ban and a second in a lifetime ban from the NFL.

I hope the Niners can field a full defense squad this season.

jimmy olsen

Gonna miss the first game while in Fukuoka on vacation.

Also, this year's auto-draft sucked. <_<
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

The Texans gave Watt the extension he wanted.  6 years, $100m, $51 guaranteed.

Grey Fox

Really, ESPN?  First Joe Flacco is ranked beneath Matt Ryan and Tony Romo, and now you're dissing Harbaugh, and ranking him beneath his more impatient, psychopath brother? 

And you people wonder why I have a problem with the entrenched anti-Baltimore sentiment in the NFL, NFL Properties and the Lamestream Media.  Fucking assholes.  I hope Ray Lewis knocks up all your white daughters.

QuoteAn ESPN poll of NFL front office personnel and coordinators had good things to say about Ravens coach John Harbaugh, who checks in among the top quarter of NFL head coaches.

Harbaugh came in ninth in the poll conducted by ESPN's Mike Sando, which asked 30 NFL industry sources to rate the coaches on a 1-5 scale, with one being best and five being the worst. The scores were then averaged, with the lowest average number being the best.

Harbaugh's score placed him firmly in the second-tier of NFL coaches and one spot behind his brother, Jim, who coaches the San Francisco 49ers.

Harbaugh's on-field success can't be questioned, as Sando points out. The Super Bowl XLVII winner has a career .651 winning percentage as a head coach, and the Ravens' 71 wins since he took over are second only to New England, whose coach, Bill Belichick, ranks atop this list.

The piece is behind ESPN's Insider paywall, so out of deference, I won't spoil the entire thing. Harbaugh likely won't be happy that he's just behind his brother, but he's in a tier with fellow Super Bowl winners Tom Coughlin (New York Giants), Mike McCarthy (Green Bay Packers), and Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers).

Why do you care so much that your team gets recognize by the lamestream media? You have a good team, no one cares about it. Welcome to the Los Angeles Kings of the NHL.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.