And we're back!

Main Menu

Venice Independence Referendum

Started by Syt, March 16, 2014, 03:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26604044

QuoteVenice votes in referendum on splitting from Rome

Voting has begin in Venice and the surrounding region on whether to break away from Italy.

Recent opinion polls suggest that two thirds of the four million electorate favour splitting from Rome, but the vote will not be legally binding.

The poll was organised by local activists and parties, who want a future state called Republic of Veneto.

This would be reminiscent of the sovereign Venetian republic that existed for more than 1,000 years.

A focal point for culture, architecture and trade, Venice lost its independence to Napoleon in 1797.

Online voting is due to continue until Friday.

The vote received very little coverage in Italy's national media but the organisers said they expected as many as two million people to take part.

The BBC's Alan Johnston in Rome says the vote reflects a growing separatist mood in parts of Europe, such as Spain's Catalonia region and Scotland, which votes on whether to become independent in September.

Moves towards independence often evoke more sympathy in wealthy northern Italy, where many resent what they see as the poorer south's waste and corruption.

Luca Zaia, governor of Veneto, the Venice region, rejected suggestions that the Italian constitution would prevent secession.

International law, he told Il Quotidiano, allowed "the right to self-determination"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Makes sense that the governor of Venice lives on the second floor.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on March 16, 2014, 03:26:00 PM
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26604044

This would be reminiscent of the sovereign Venetian republic that existed for more than 1,000 years.

No, it would be reminiscent of a crypto-fascist state.
It's not 1848 anymore.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Pedrito

...now I understand why some friends today posted "I voted" on their Facebook.

The media coverage of this fake vote is so inexistent that I buy every day a local newspaper, and it never happened to speak about it.

This doesn't mean that I do not approve a secession from Italy.  :sleep:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Duque de Bragança

What's the position of the Lega Nord on this matter?

Valmy

Oh for Godsake.  Europe really aims to be as useless a place as possible.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Pedrito on March 16, 2014, 05:54:51 PM
This doesn't mean that I do not approve a secession from Italy.  :sleep:

You make zombie Garibaldi cry.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Lettow77

I've been following this for quite some time. Venetian independence is of course highly desirable.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on March 16, 2014, 08:31:21 PM
Oh for Godsake.  Europe really aims to be as useless a place as possible.

It's Italy, dude.  They've been at this nonsense since before Machiavelli.

Ed Anger

This makes me twirl my hands rapidly.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 16, 2014, 08:46:33 PM
I've been following this for quite some time. Venetian independence is of course highly desirable.

I remember you speaking of the potential for a space Venice.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

I'm not worried until Russian troops show up.

Ed Anger

Quote from: alfred russel on March 16, 2014, 09:31:20 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on March 16, 2014, 08:46:33 PM

I remember you speaking of the potential for a space Venice.

Space French served by nigger robots in a generational spaceship.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive