And we're back!

Main Menu

Norwegian Army introduces unisex dorms

Started by Syt, April 04, 2014, 03:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2014, 08:16:20 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 04, 2014, 03:02:24 AM
QuoteThe Norwegian army has created unisex dorms for soldiers, with female soldiers reporting they experienced a drop in sexual harassment as a result.
But this is a weird sounding sentence, like there is a standard level of sexual harassment Norwegian soldiers experience that has now been lessened.

Why would that be weird?

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on April 04, 2014, 10:41:54 AM
Why would that be weird?

I don't know is a constant stream of sexual harassment something most soldiers see?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2014, 10:46:32 AM
Why would that be weird?

I don't know is a constant stream of sexual harassment something most soldiers see?

:unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

Why would that be weird?

As far as female soldiers are concerned, have you been following the US news lately? :huh:

For male soldiers, it is "bonding," "initiation," or maybe "hazing," as far as anyone's concerned.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Valmy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 04, 2014, 02:11:42 PM
As far as female soldiers are concerned, have you been following the US news lately? :huh:

For male soldiers, it is "bonding," "initiation," or maybe "hazing," as far as anyone's concerned.

Unless there was a Languish post on it I don't follow the news.  I am raising kids, working full time, and getting an electrical engineering degree.  I sleep three hours a night on week nights.  Give me a break alright?  If military people are regularly breaking the law I hope there are some court marshals going on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on April 04, 2014, 02:20:08 PM

Unless there was a Languish post on it I don't follow the news.  I am raising kids, working full time, and getting an electrical engineering degree.  I sleep three hours a night on week nights.  Give me a break alright?  If military people are regularly breaking the law I hope there are some court marshals going on.

:unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

In my ROTC days I was sexually propositioned by three female cadets and one female officer.  I guess that technically qualifies as "harrassment" under the broad definition but I wasn't bothered by it.  After a while I got the impression that some women join the Army because they're too homely to land a guy in the civilian world and their chances get much better in the Army environment.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Capetan Mihali

No I won't give you a break you ignorant son of a bitch.  Either you follow the damn news on a daily basis or your ass is grass.  And that's not a threat, it's a PROMISE.

:P  I get most of my news from Languish too, but thought most people did better.  So at least we're not alone. :hug:  But there has been a lot going on (Congressional investigations even I believe) about widespread sexual harassment/assault/rape in the military recently.  So perhaps unsurprising nobody's made a thread on it yet.  It's been percolating for a while, and the only reason I'm aware is that I've caught a few segments about it on NPR skimming through dial on my commute. :lol:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Norgy

QuoteMale soldiers who were interviewed said they found it easier to talk about more important things, rather than just banter or dirty talk, when there were girls in the rooms.

I'm sure the Russians are already shaking in their pants about the prospects of being bombarded with "But how do you really feel?" from across the border.

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 04, 2014, 02:31:29 PM

No I won't give you a break you ignorant son of a bitch.  Either you follow the damn news on a daily basis or your ass is grass.  And that's not a threat, it's a PROMISE.

:P  I get most of my news from Languish too, but thought most people did better.  So at least we're not alone. :hug:  But there has been a lot going on (Congressional investigations even I believe) about widespread sexual harassment/assault/rape in the military recently.  So perhaps unsurprising nobody's made a thread on it yet.  It's been percolating for a while, and the only reason I'm aware is that I've caught a few segments about it on NPR skimming through dial on my commute. :lol:

[Seeds]Because Languish hates women[/Seeds]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Why would that be weird?

Based on the soldiers I've met, I'd be amazed if women didn't go through that :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2014, 10:12:07 AM
Sounds like a pretty decent idea, actually.  Someone's got to do the cleaning & laundry.

^_^
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive