News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Norwegian Army introduces unisex dorms

Started by Syt, April 04, 2014, 03:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/03/25/norway-army-unisex_n_5025835.html

QuoteMen And Women Shared Rooms In This Norwegian Army Base - And Sexual Harassment Dropped
The Huffington Post UK  |  By Jessica Elgot   Posted: 25/03/2014 09:54 GMT  |  Updated: 25/03/2014 09:59 GMT

The Norwegian army has created unisex dorms for soldiers, with female soldiers reporting they experienced a drop in sexual harassment as a result.

Trialled at a military base in the north of the country, the Local reported that each room had two women sharing with four men.

Ulla-Britt Lilleaas, professor of Sociology at the University of Agder, researched the reactions of women to the unorthodox arrangement.

One female soldier had purchased especially large underwear when she was told she would be sharing with male colleagues, but then reported that she had felt the gender differences less acutely than she had thought.

"To them there was nothing strange about the unisex rooms. They had entered a common mode where gender stereotypes had disappeared, or at least they were less obvious," the sociologist reported.

Another woman called the mixed rooms a "damn good idea".

"You have to be a team here, and then you have to live together in order to be able to trust in one another", she said.

"There is no gender in the army, there is only green", said another one of the interviewees.

Male soldiers who were interviewed said they found it easier to talk about more important things, rather than just banter or dirty talk, when there were girls in the rooms.

"They are much better at taking showers and cleaning, which is being emphasised as a positive thing by the management," the research said, according to Science Nordic.

In the research, Lilleaas and co-author Dag Ellingsen compared unisex dorms with another training centre for the Royal Norwegian Navy, where women and men have separate rooms.

They reported: "It becomes us and them, boys against the girls. Another problem with girls' rooms is that they in some cases fall outside the information flow. And they are often characterised by conflicts and cliques."

It is not the first time Norway's army has adopted radical ethical measures. It announced in November plans to introduce 'meatless Mondays' into army diets, to tackle climate change.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

It is not the first time Norway's army has adopted radical ethical measures. It announced in November plans to introduce 'meatless Mondays' into army diets, to tackle climate change.

:bleeding:

Crazy_Ivan80

if the norwegian army wants to tackle climate change their navy should use viking ships.

No burning coastal settlements though as the smog is a climate-change no-no

Neil

If Norway wants to tackle climate change they should stop all gas production.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Neil on April 04, 2014, 07:50:42 AM
If Norway wants to tackle climate change they should stop all gas production.

don't think that's healthy

DGuller

What about cases of sexual intercourse? :unsure:

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on April 04, 2014, 03:02:24 AM
QuoteThe Norwegian army has created unisex dorms for soldiers, with female soldiers reporting they experienced a drop in sexual harassment as a result.

I guess it makes it harder to rape people if you they know where you live.  But this is a weird sounding sentence, like there is a standard level of sexual harassment Norwegian soldiers experience that has now been lessened.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: DGuller on April 04, 2014, 07:55:06 AM

That happens even if there are separate rooms for males and females.

The Brain

I can't remember Sweden having had separate dorms.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on April 04, 2014, 09:34:39 AM

So that is what kept morale so high during the Narva campaign. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on April 04, 2014, 09:34:39 AM

Because you slept in the barn?  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

I suspect having mix dorms reduces incidents of sodomy in the norwegian navy.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Sounds like a pretty decent idea, actually.  Someone's got to do the cleaning & laundry.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: Viking on April 04, 2014, 09:47:57 AM

I suspect having mix dorms reduces incidents of sodomy in the norwegian navy.
Doubtful.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.