Main Menu

The story of Street Fighter: The Movie

Started by Sheilbh, March 13, 2014, 10:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Maladict on March 14, 2014, 06:44:52 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2014, 04:12:28 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 13, 2014, 04:10:46 PM
Yeah, but Hipsters think van Damme is cool.  So that doesn't really work. 

They only think he is cool ironically.

Hipsters can't do irony.

:wacko:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on March 14, 2014, 04:09:54 AM
In Van Damme's defense, after reading that he jackhammered Kylie Minogue during the shoot, my opinion of him has gone up a bit. :showoff:
:yes:
That you would have to be a fool to not want to do it is true. But to actually be able to do it...nice.
Did she mean: I can't get Van Damme Out of My Head?

Yeah, he managed to appear quite non-douchy when admitting to an affair. Then again if he went around boasting about nailing vintage 1994 Kylie he'd get high fives from most of the world's male population anyway.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

I saw a Pauly Shore interview once where he commented that van Damme was the biggest douche he worked with. When they did MTV spring break, van Damme was late, acted like a prima donna, on TV went on a big speil about how much he loved his wife, and later Shore saw him hooking up with two spring breakers in a car.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

It sure hurt his cred when he got his ass kicked by a nudie bar bouncer

celedhring

Quote from: alfred russel on March 14, 2014, 09:57:32 AM
I saw a Pauly Shore interview once where he commented that van Damme was the biggest douche he worked with. When they did MTV spring break, van Damme was late, acted like a prima donna, on TV went on a big speil about how much he loved his wife, and later Shore saw him hooking up with two spring breakers in a car.

He seems to have a quite douchebag-ey reputation, a lot of people that worked with him speak quite badly of the experience.

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on March 14, 2014, 10:20:40 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 14, 2014, 09:57:32 AM

He seems to have a quite douchebag-ey reputation, a lot of people that worked with him speak quite badly of the experience.

Well he is a Belgian.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

So he's a Francophone but his name is Flemish? Belgium is weird.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

Quote from: Queequeg on March 14, 2014, 10:27:29 AM

First name's "Jean Claude", which is as French as it gets. Van Damme is actually a stage name too, although IIRC his real surname is also Flemish-sounding.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on March 14, 2014, 10:27:29 AM

I've met quite a few people like that.  I think Brussels in particular is mostly deracinated Phlegms.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2014, 10:30:24 AM
I've met quite a few people like that.  I think Brussels in particular is mostly deracinated Phlegms.

Yeah.  Weird thing about Brussels is that they all *look* French. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2014, 10:52:28 AM
Yeah.  Weird thing about Brussels is that they all *look* French. 

Lucky them. :frog:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Also, Squeelus, with that accent how could you be surprised he's francophone?  :huh:

Queequeg

I've been hearing van Damme's voice since I was a kid, long before I knew anything about the linguistic divide in Belgium.  Also, I don't know quite what a Flemish accent sounds like. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on March 14, 2014, 11:10:53 AM
I've been hearing van Damme's voice since I was a kid, long before I knew anything about the linguistic divide in Belgium.  Also, I don't know quite what a Flemish accent sounds like.

But presumably you know what a French accent sounds like.  This, combined with your stated ignorance of the linguistic divide, makes it even more likely you would think Van Damme is francophone.

Pretty shaky logic for a Chicago Boy.  :hmm: