The Mystery of Missing Malaysia Airlines 370

Started by jimmy olsen, March 08, 2014, 11:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on March 11, 2014, 12:52:10 PM
Something I don't get...there are devices for more serious hikers that will pinpoint GPS location. Friends and family can track where you are at all times, and you can issue distress calls, etc.  Why don't planes have something similar, made of something that won't blow up? Why should it be so hard to find a plane?

They do have such things (radio beacons).  They just don't work from underwater, or when buried under rubble, etc.

QuoteAlso, don't they know where the plane disappeared?

Well, the plane disappeared from different radars at different times and places.  Radar systems that were not explicitly tracking the plane have to have their data for the time period reconstructed, and the right data for that flight identified and analyzed.  We may see additional data from other systems (like passing warships or other military air search radar systems).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Beenherebefore

The artist formerly known as Norgy

Razgovory

This is weird.  They aren't even certain which ocean to look in.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

If it crashed in the Gulf of Thailand, it seems like it shouldn't be this hard to find.  The Gulf of Thailand isn't that big and is pretty shallow.

OTOH, if in fact it did change course and went off into the Pacific or the Indian, and they aren't sure where exactly, I doubt it'll ever be located.  It had enough fuel to go way out over both of those.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Beenherebefore

They do seem to have some clue about which planet to search on, which is good.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

Monoriu

Quote from: Caliga on March 11, 2014, 12:08:26 PM
Saw an article earlier that said Malaysian military radar detected that the plane altered its course to the west and descended to a lower altitude and now appears to have been tracked as far as the Straits of Malacca. :blink:

The Malaysian military denied this. 

Monoriu

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 11, 2014, 01:06:46 PM
UFO abduction then?

You'll be surprised about how popular this theory is.  A lot of people over here, my wife included, simply won't acknowledge that the plane has crashed and everybody is dead. 

Sheilbh

To be honest I assumed planes were always being tracked. It is kind of extraordinary that one can just disappear in 2014 :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grinning_Colossus

I think planes are always being tracked, if not by national aviation authorities.  :ph34r: After 9/11 the US probably created a system to track every passenger jet in the world, they just won't admit that they have it -- which would explain their skepticism of the Chinese satellite pictures.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Sheilbh

Amazing. Apparently the White House are briefing that the plane flew for four hours after it disappeared from radar. The Malaysians very strongly denying it.

This is really weird.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

How do we know it was flying if it disappeared from radar?  Do we have ground confirmation.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Monoriu

Quote from: Queequeg on March 13, 2014, 06:11:58 PM
How do we know it was flying if it disappeared from radar?  Do we have ground confirmation.

Apparently the US claim that they received automatic transmissions from the engines hours after it disappeared from radar.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on March 13, 2014, 06:11:58 PM
I think it's data Rolls Royce have from the engines.
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points