The Mystery of Missing Malaysia Airlines 370

Started by jimmy olsen, March 08, 2014, 11:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Monoriu on March 10, 2014, 10:19:27 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 10, 2014, 10:10:13 PM
I read that a hitherto unknown Muslim Uighur group claimed responsibility with a PDF statement some time after the fact, but that the Chinese government dismissed the claim as being non-credible.

You know, even of they did do it I think there's a certain beauty to dismissing and then completely ignoring the claim.

You know what's even more beautiful?  Publicly ignore the claim; secretly arrest the entire group  :menace:

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder... or the beholden...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

You know what's even more beautiful?  Publicly ignore the claim; secretly arrest the entire group  :menace:

I hope a Tibetan monk takes a big sloppy shit in your shark fin soup during his quest for enlightenment.

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2014, 10:53:09 PM

I hope a Tibetan monk takes a big sloppy shit in your shark fin soup during his quest for enlightenment.

If someone claims that he blew up a civilian airplane, he immediately becomes fair game for law enforcement, isn't it  :menace:

alfred russel

Quote from: Monoriu on March 10, 2014, 10:58:09 PM

If someone claims that he blew up a civilian airplane, he immediately becomes fair game for law enforcement, isn't it  :menace:

:yes: Plus any of his relatives within 3 generations.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

jimmy olsen

I read that a hitherto unknown Muslim Uighur group claimed responsibility with a PDF statement some time after the fact, but that the Chinese government dismissed the claim as being non-credible.

You know, even of they did do it I think there's a certain beauty to dismissing and then completely ignoring the claim.
I'm sure that plenty of loons deemed noncredible have claimed responsibility.

If it's a new group, how do they deterimine if they're credible or not though?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Beenherebefore

Looks like the terrorist trail is getting cold, and that it's looking like the usual human trafficking stuff.

Not that human trafficking itself brought the plane down. That would just be downright weird.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

Caliga

ETIM?  If so I've heard of these guys before but didn't think they were actively engaging in terrorism.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2014, 10:53:09 PM

To a certain extent, sure.  But why arrest them in secret?  That's just stupid.

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on March 10, 2014, 11:05:02 PM

:yes: Plus any of his relatives within 3 generations.

Neighbors, friends, former teachers-- really anyone from their ethnic group.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Caliga

Saw an article earlier that said Malaysian military radar detected that the plane altered its course to the west and descended to a lower altitude and now appears to have been tracked as far as the Straits of Malacca. :blink:

Caliga

:hmm: I wonder if this is more like that Greek airliner a couple of years back that lost cabin pressure and ended up flying out of control till it ran out of fuel.

alfred russel

Something I don't get...there are devices for more serious hikers that will pinpoint GPS location. Friends and family can track where you are at all times, and you can issue distress calls, etc.  Why don't planes have something similar, made of something that won't blow up? Why should it be so hard to find a plane?

Also, don't they know where the plane disappeared?

Caliga

From what I understand, the plan was following its normal flight path until it reached a point in the Gulf of Thailand south of Vietnam just inside Vietnamese airspace.  At that point it 'disappeared', but it appears that instead of just blowing up or crashing into the sea it suddenly and dramatically changed course.

I did a little homework on the Greek airliner (actually Cypriot) and I slightly mis-remembered that accident: the plane's cabin pressurization system was accidentally switched off and so the plane always remained at outside pressure, which caused everyone to pass out... but it stayed on autopilot and when it reached Athens the autopilot kept it in a holding pattern till it ran out of gas.  A flight attendant somehow managed to wake up and got into the cabin in an attempt to save the plane, but it ran out of gas and crashed before he was able to do anything.

So it sounds like this could not be a close analog since this aircraft apparently changed course for some bizarre reason.