The Mystery of Missing Malaysia Airlines 370

Started by jimmy olsen, March 08, 2014, 11:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Ugh, as if flying abroad wasn't bad enough. :(

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missing-jet/u-s-probing-terror-concerns-missing-malaysian-airlines-jet-n47861

QuoteU.S. officials told NBC News on Saturday they are investigating terrorism concerns after two people listed as passengers on the missing Malaysia Airlines jet turned out not to be on the plane and had reported their passports stolen.
First published March 9th 2014, 1:22 am
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

No doubt. Shit dont just disappear like that. No mayday call. Maybe a bomb got onboard.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Dr. StrangeloveIt doesn't do any good if you keep it a secret!

Applies to nuclear deterrents and terrorist attacks.  A terrorist attack that doesn't generate publicity is as useless as tits on a bull.

alfred russel

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 08, 2014, 12:30:43 PM
Quote from: Dr. StrangeloveIt doesn't do any good if you keep it a secret!

Applies to nuclear deterrents and terrorist attacks.  A terrorist attack that doesn't generate publicity is as useless as tits on a bull.

Most terrorists seem to be dumbasses, so who knows.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 08, 2014, 11:29:08 AM
Ugh, as if flying abroad wasn't bad enough. :(

You really shouldn't be concerned about flying in the 1st world because of a potential 3rd world security breach.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Sheilbh

Kuala Lumpur-Beijing and Malaysian Airlines are hardly third world.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Yeah.  Malaysian Air pretty regularly has ads in The Economist.  I don't associate that with dingy third-world airlines. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 08, 2014, 02:07:41 PM
Kuala Lumpur-Beijing and Malaysian Airlines are hardly third world.

It isn't about the airline or the route, it is about the airport administration.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on March 08, 2014, 11:31:27 AM
No doubt. Shit dont just disappear like that. No mayday call. Maybe a bomb got onboard.

Yeah, planes never just fall out of the sky.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 08, 2014, 04:06:12 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 08, 2014, 11:31:27 AM

Yeah, planes never just fall out of the sky.

If Obama hadn't killed those people in Benghazi this would never have happened.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on March 08, 2014, 02:17:02 PM
It isn't about the airline or the route, it is about the airport administration.
Okay. But again, Kuala Lumpur? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Yeah, this is all over the news here, as the bulk of the passengers are Chinese.  Probably just an accident, but of course nobody is ruling anything out, as they haven't even found the debris yet (should be somewhere near Vietnam). 

Jacob

It's being reported that two of the people who were on board according to the flight manifest - an Italian and an Austrian - were in fact not onboard, but both reported their passports stolen within the last year or so (in Thailand, I believe).

It doesn't mean that it's connected, of course, but still curious.

Caliga

Quote from: Monoriu on March 08, 2014, 06:25:00 PM
Yeah, this is all over the news here, as the bulk of the passengers are Chinese.  Probably just an accident, but of course nobody is ruling anything out, as they haven't even found the debris yet (should be somewhere near Vietnam).
I think it's less likely to be an accident than an act of sabotage.  It's really unusual for airliners to just vanish mid-flight without so much as a quick distress call.  Of course, that Air France flight from Brazil to France that crashed into the Atlantic a few years back turned out to be an accident, but midflight accidents like that with not even a peep from the pilots are incredibly rare.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 08, 2014, 06:18:27 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 08, 2014, 02:17:02 PM
Okay. But again, Kuala Lumpur? :mellow:

Yeah, where else could they be? They clearly aren't 2nd. That leaves 1st and 3rd as the options.

The capital cities of a lot of countries are much better off than the rest of the country. I've always heard the designations applied to countries rather than splitting between regions.