News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Egyptian Army can cure AIDS, Hepatitis C

Started by Syt, February 28, 2014, 10:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Queequeg on February 28, 2014, 05:25:40 PM
Doesn't Egypt have the most pathetic military record of any nation in the last, um, 2,000 years?  It doesn't have enough wood for a real navy or pasture for horses so they just get slaughtered.

Dude, they beat the Mongols.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

A tiny ruling clique of Circassians and proto-Tatars won that.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

Italy wasn't a country until 1871.  If you want to get technical Germany's record might actually be the worst, but no one would accuse them of martial incompetence. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

derspiess

Quote from: Queequeg on February 28, 2014, 05:35:25 PM
If you want to get technical Germany's record might actually be the worst, but no one would accuse them of martial incompetence. 

Many do, actually.  They did lose a couple World Wars.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

Egypt did pretty good under Ali in the 19th century.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Queequeg

Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2014, 05:38:00 PM
If you want to get technical Germany's record might actually be the worst, but no one would accuse them of martial incompetence. 

Neither Italy nor Egypt has produced a Guderian or von Manstein  in a very, very long time. 

Queequeg

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 28, 2014, 05:31:14 PM
Dude, they beat the Mongols.

Sort of they beat a tiny rump force while the main army was off fighting the civil war that broke up their empire.  But still good for them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on February 28, 2014, 05:39:31 PM
Quote from: PDH on February 28, 2014, 05:39:09 PM
Egypt did pretty good under Ali in the 19th century.
Albanian.

Well he might have been but he did not exactly have a massive Albanian army backing him up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Queequeg on February 28, 2014, 05:39:20 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2014, 05:38:00 PM

Neither Italy nor Egypt has produced a Guderian or von Manstein  in a very, very long time. 

Not saying I agree with it-- just that I've heard the argument made. 

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 28, 2014, 05:33:23 PM
Um, Italy?

had some successful dreadnought designs, and the garibaldi armored cruiser was pretty good

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on February 28, 2014, 05:25:40 PM
Doesn't Egypt have the most pathetic military record of any nation in the last, um, 2,000 years?  It doesn't have enough wood for a real navy or pasture for horses so they just get slaughtered.

Egypt didn't really have it's own indigenous military for most of those 2,000 years. For most of that period Egypt has had Roman, Arab or Slave Soldier armies; even for the 300 years before the start of this 2000 year period they had a Macedonian Army.

But, if you want to count the non-coptic warrior over-classes the battle Creasy missed from his 15 battles,Ain Jalut, is one of the most significant battles in world history and quite possibly saved Islamic Civilization, allowing the mongols and turks time to convert to islam.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.