Egyptian Army can cure AIDS, Hepatitis C

Started by Syt, February 28, 2014, 10:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: Viking on February 28, 2014, 05:00:24 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 28, 2014, 10:50:51 AM
I see the Egyptian army is as good at medicine as it is at warfare. Is there nothing it cannot do?  :hmm:

I was at the Egyptian Army Museum in the Cairo Citadel. There I learned the Egyptian Army won the war in 1973 and El Alamein.

The Museum had a thorough coverage of the entire history of they Egyptian armed forces since the Islamic conquest, with the exception of 5 June to 10 June 1967, during which NOTHING HAPPENED!!

I went to that museum too, back in the glorious days of Mubarak.  I wondered if it changed during the rule by the Muslim Brotherhood (probably not, or at least not for the better.)

When I was in the citadel a pair of young girls (they were probably about twelve) came up to me.  The first one practiced her English; the other handed me a handful of flowers, blushed scarlet and ran away (with her friend chasing after her.)  I am Savonarola, heart stealer of Arabia!
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Queequeg

That sounds......really charming actually.

When I went to a Museum in Mardin all the kids started taking pictures of me. They'd never seen a sunburned 6'3 blonde man before.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2014, 05:38:00 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 28, 2014, 05:35:25 PM
If you want to get technical Germany's record might actually be the worst, but no one would accuse them of martial incompetence. 
Many do, actually.  They did lose a couple World Wars.
But they were competently fought.  Their strategies failed, but that doesn't make them 'bad at war'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on March 01, 2014, 09:56:56 AM
Quote from: derspiess on February 28, 2014, 05:38:00 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 28, 2014, 05:35:25 PM
If you want to get technical Germany's record might actually be the worst, but no one would accuse them of martial incompetence. 
Many do, actually.  They did lose a couple World Wars.
But they were competently fought.  Their strategies failed, but that doesn't make them 'bad at war'.

Well, if you include "the ability to evaluate your chances of success in a war you start" in being good/bad at war, then, yes, they suck at war.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tonitrus

Come on now, even the most skilled fighter in the world would lose when an elephant and a bunch of flailing midgets pile onto him.

Valmy

They are horrible at wars, just good at fighting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on March 01, 2014, 02:13:13 PM

They won a lot of wars prior to 1914.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: Neil on March 01, 2014, 03:26:06 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 01, 2014, 02:13:13 PM

They won a lot of wars prior to 1914.

Against natives and shit?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 01, 2014, 09:59:36 PM
And the French.

That was The Kingdom of Prussia and the German Customs Union. Germany was proclaimed at Versailles once the war was already won.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

LaCroix

Quote from: Viking on March 01, 2014, 10:03:13 PMThat was The Kingdom of Prussia and the German Customs Union. Germany was proclaimed at Versailles once the war was already won.

german military analyzed the hell out of the franco-prussian war and correctly envisioned the future of warfare. the effectiveness of the boer tactics in the second boer war didn't surprise them - it confirmed their suspicions. so, germany was quite excellent at war. circumstances prevented them from winning

Neil

Quote from: Viking on March 01, 2014, 10:03:13 PM
And the French.

That was The Kingdom of Prussia and the German Customs Union. Germany was proclaimed at Versailles once the war was already won.
It's still Germany.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on March 01, 2014, 10:48:39 PM
Quote from: Viking on March 01, 2014, 10:03:13 PM
And the French.

It's still Germany.

Oh so we can include the centuries of the Holy Roman Empire micro-states getting steam rolled by everybody?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on March 02, 2014, 01:23:24 AM
Oh so we can include the centuries of the Holy Roman Empire micro-states getting steam rolled by everybody?

As long as you keep the respective sizes of the adversaries in mind, sure. The Palatinate is a good enough proxy for how a Palatinate-sized Germany would perform. Prussia-sized Germany did rather well.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?