The Mammoth Cometh: NYT Magazine longread on bringing back extinct animals

Started by Queequeg, February 27, 2014, 11:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

crazy canuck

There was an interesting documentary about how there is also an effort to bring back the Passenger Pigeon from extinction.  Hasnt been gone for as long obviously but it seems this field of de-extinction is growing.

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2014, 12:26:44 PM
There was an interesting documentary about how there is also an effort to bring back the Passenger Pigeon from extinction.  Hasnt been gone for as long obviously but it seems this field of de-extinction is growing.

That's actually what the piece is mostly about.

Interesting read.

derspiess

Seeing real live mammoths would be cool as hell.  A silly bird?  Pass.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

When I first saw this thread I thought a giant Ice ball was coming toward Earth.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 27, 2014, 12:26:44 PM

Jetpacks for pigeons sounds retarded.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Cloning passenger pigeons successfully will likely be impossible. They simply require to large a flock too make it practical. You can clone a few dozens Mammoths and let nature take it's course, will observing the herd and making sure to ensure genetic diversity. You can't do the same with passenger pigeons, you'd need to clone millions.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 27, 2014, 06:38:35 PM
Cloning passenger pigeons successfully will likely be impossible. They simply require to large a flock to make it practical.

Timmay, they will likely be able to recreate a passenger.  Whether that will have any practical meaning given that the bird flocked in large numbers is another question.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PRC

Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2014, 01:08:13 PM

Seeing flocks of them that are miles wide and hundreds of miles long taking half a day to pass would be a cool as hell sight.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Quote from: PRC on February 28, 2014, 01:13:34 AM
Quote from: derspiess on February 27, 2014, 01:08:13 PM

Seeing flocks of them that are miles wide and hundreds of miles long taking half a day to pass would be a cool as hell sight.

I would think that many birds would put a strain on other species, eating more food, taking more nesting space. Probably as those pigeons declined other specie's numbers surged.