News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2013 Tax Season

Started by Admiral Yi, February 26, 2014, 04:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

As with last year, we owe a shitload to the feds and like five bucks to Kentucky. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

I knew all that tuition and having kids would pay off!  Refund incoming despite me minimizing my deductions last year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

I worked it out pretty good last year - I owe zero.  Of course, I could maybe have had less deductions and put away money each month, but I don't trust myself to do that - I am kind of shifty.

Pluse, with no state income tax I didn't pay too much.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Phillip V

Filed today. Anybody use that Amazon e-giftcard offer from TurboTax? I just gave them $1100 of my federal refund in return for a future $1210 e-giftcard. :huh:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Phillip V on April 12, 2014, 10:57:15 PM
Filed today. Anybody use that Amazon e-giftcard offer from TurboTax? I just gave them $1100 of my federal refund in return for a future $1210 e-giftcard. :huh:

Sound like a crap deal to me.  Can you really spend that much at Amazon?

Admiral Yi

Sorry if that sounded harsh dude. :sleep:

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Heard an interesting factoid on NPR today: if you're owed a refund, there is no penalty for filing late, because the penalty is calculated as a percentage of the amount you owe.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 14, 2014, 06:53:10 PM
Heard an interesting factoid on NPR today: if you're owed a refund, there is no penalty for filing late, because the penalty is calculated as a percentage of the amount you owe.

Same in Canada. I went through a phase where I'd habitually file late every year, since I knew they'd owe me.

alfred russel

Still haven't started. Fuck its going to be a long night.  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on April 14, 2014, 08:17:54 PM

You lose your accounting merit badge for that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

There is no withholding or pay as you go in HK.  I get my full salary each month.  In January 2014, I sent a cheque to the tax guys to pay all my taxes in 2013 in one go.

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on April 14, 2014, 08:17:54 PM
Same here.  Speaking of which, here is something I wonder:  is there such a thing as a small amount exception for the tax returns?  I find that most of my time filling out tax returns is spent on tracking down those 3-4 1099-INT forms, for a grand total of $11.85 in interest income, and not on the W-2 form, which takes 10 minutes to put in and accounts for 99.99% of my income.