News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2013 Tax Season

Started by Admiral Yi, February 26, 2014, 04:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on April 14, 2014, 09:51:19 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 14, 2014, 08:17:54 PM
Still haven't started. Fuck its going to be a long night.  :(
Same here.  Speaking of which, here is something I wonder:  is there such a thing as a small amount exception for the tax returns?  I find that most of my time filling out tax returns is spent on tracking down those 3-4 1099-INT forms, for a grand total of $11.85 in interest income, and not on the W-2 form, which takes 10 minutes to put in and accounts for 99.99% of my income.

I think that if it is less than $10 you generally don't get a 1099, but you should theoretically declare everything. In practice, it really doesn't matter.

I'm going to bed. I'll get up early tomorrow. I know what I'm doing at work tomorrow.  :blush:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on April 14, 2014, 10:04:50 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 14, 2014, 09:51:19 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 14, 2014, 08:17:54 PM
Still haven't started. Fuck its going to be a long night.  :(
Same here.  Speaking of which, here is something I wonder:  is there such a thing as a small amount exception for the tax returns?  I find that most of my time filling out tax returns is spent on tracking down those 3-4 1099-INT forms, for a grand total of $11.85 in interest income, and not on the W-2 form, which takes 10 minutes to put in and accounts for 99.99% of my income.

I think that if it is less than $10 you generally don't get a 1099, but you should theoretically declare everything. In practice, it really doesn't matter.

I'm going to bed. I'll get up early tomorrow. I know what I'm doing at work tomorrow.  :blush:
That's my plan as well.  :Embarrass:

Admiral Yi

If you earn less than $10 interest at a given institution they don't issue you a 1099-INT and they don't report it to the IRS.  And unless you've kept a running tally of interest earned from your monthly statements, you really have no way of knowing how much interest you earned.  So skip it.

MadImmortalMan

In the next 24 hours, I will file my taxes.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Norgy

Taxes filed, expected tax return: 14.000 NOK plus interest.  :bowler:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Norgy on April 15, 2014, 04:24:24 AM
Taxes filed, expected tax return: 14.000 NOK plus interest.  :bowler:

Now that's some foldin' money!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

I'd take it all in stripper singles.

alfred russel

When I first became an accountant, a family member approached me. "I think I need some advice on what I should do with my money," he started. "Well, what are you currently doing?" He explained that he had keeping all his money in his checking account. I asked how much he had in the account. He said about $900,000.

I thought this was shocking stupidity.

But now that I'm starting to do my taxes, and trying to figure out what has been going on for the past year, I've realized that I just checked my bank account for the first time this year and have allowed a shocking amount of money to just sit in checking (though considerably less than $900k).

I think I used to manage my money far more closesly (and better) when I had very little. Once I started to get a decent amount of cash, enough to really start generating investment returns, I sort of quit caring.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Ed Anger

It does tend to build up.

Grey Fox

The government needs to take it away.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 15, 2014, 10:19:33 AM
The government needs to take it away.

If we are talking about my relative, he is near retirement.

If we are talking about me, it is worth emphasizing that we are talking about substantially less than $900,000.  :lol:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Scipio

I fucking turned a profit.

FUcking fucks.

Fucks.

I had to pay out 2 k.

Fucks.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Monoriu

Quote from: alfred russel on April 15, 2014, 10:23:40 AM

If we are talking about me, it is worth emphasizing that we are talking about substantially less than $900,000.  :lol:

$899,998? :unsure: