Liberation Theology is in - should Yi be concerned?

Started by crazy canuck, February 25, 2014, 11:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2014, 04:48:33 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on February 26, 2014, 04:45:07 PM
Did the "Prosperity theology" of Rockefeller survive the Gilded Age?  I don't think I've encountered it anywhere else.  :unsure:

I've read an article or two on it.  Certainly not met anyone who professed the creed.

I have run into it quite a bit around here.  It also seems to be a pretty constant theme of all tele evangelists.  I find it odd that you have never been exposed to notion that being successful or rich is a sign of God's favour other than the couple of articles you have read.

MadImmortalMan

Well we are doing things to address poverty. That's the way it currently is.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 26, 2014, 05:08:01 PM
Five what? I'm curious now.  :)

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 26, 2014, 02:48:13 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 26, 2014, 12:59:08 PM
Who are these "plenty of people?"  Can you name, say, five of them?  Can you name three from this board?

Siege, Ed & Cal when trolling, Jacob's impression of Garbon, Seedy's impression of Yi.  :showoff:

Ed Anger

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2014, 04:58:14 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2014, 04:46:25 PM
Because I think some people dress their unwillingness to address poverty up in those points and claim it's the best way to help the poor.

By this logic Deng Xiao Ping was not "addressing poverty" and "leaving poverty as it is" when he started China moving towards a market economy.

No.

I'm not dismissing the importance of Capitalist motivators in generating wealth or in contributing to the elimination of poverty. I'm critiquing relying solely on those motivators. More specifically, I'm critiquing claiming that those motivators are sufficient and justified because they help the poor when the person in question stands to gain more from them than the poor people they're allegedly arguing for.

On a personal note, I'm most certainly in favour of growing the economy through free markets (as opposed to planned economies), enabling entrepreneurship, and minimizing bureaucratic clientelism; contrary to what you seem to imply. What I reject is the notion that the pure pursuit of shareholder value is the best remedy for poverty.

Jacob

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 26, 2014, 05:12:12 PM
Just for that, I'm buying a boat.

"If it floats, flies or fucks, it's cheaper to rent."   :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2014, 05:15:13 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2014, 05:06:11 PMAfter being named one of the five I should think so.

That's on Teach, not me.

It's on Ed. Make a few hundred remarks disparaging the poors and you get a reputation for it.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

You're contradicting yourself Jacob.  AFAIK Deng didn't increase a minimum wage, or institute a food stamp program, or subsidized health insurance, or anything that could remotely be considered "not solely relying on the unfettered capitalist something something."  By that earlier definition he did not "address poverty."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2014, 04:48:33 PM
I've read an article or two on it.  Certainly not met anyone who professed the creed.
It's big among televangelists and African churches.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 26, 2014, 05:20:43 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2014, 05:15:13 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2014, 05:06:11 PMAfter being named one of the five I should think so.

That's on Teach, not me.

It's on Ed. Make a few hundred remarks disparaging the poors and you get a reputation for it.  :lol:

I'm allowed. I was a poor once.