News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Anime Thread

Started by Monoriu, February 25, 2014, 08:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: Monoriu on October 05, 2015, 08:37:36 PM
9. Rider.  I think she plays a bigger role in the Heaven's Feel route, which hasn't really been adapted in the animes.  She is an adversary in most adaptations so far.  Her disgust with her master is obvious, and I applaud her efforts to help Sakura in Canival Phantasm.  She may appear evil but she seems to be hostile only when she is under orders.

Mono, while I know this is spoilerish the source is so old (and the information is so freely available on the internet) that I don't feel guilty asking this; you do know who actually summoned Rider, don't you?

Quote from: Monoriu on October 05, 2015, 08:37:36 PM1. Saber.  She maybe too standoff-ish some of the time, but she is the ultimate dependable friend.

She's utterly determined to turn back time and totally destroy her own Legend, the reason she's been remembered so long and is available to be summoned by the Grail. I don't consider someone so ultimately suicidal to be a dependable friend.

----------------------

Speaking of the last anime season, Mono, did you catch "Classroom Crisis" by any chance? That was the standout show for me. Surprisingly so.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Monoriu

Nope, I have absolutely no idea who summoned Rider.  I have watched every single anime episode that can be watched in the Fate series.  It is either not mentioned or I have missed it.  My policy is I do not look for information beyond what is told in the anime.  The Heaven's Feel movie is upcoming :contract:

I have no idea about the Classroom Crisis anime.  I didn't pick it, and have no idea what it is about.  I will look into it if you think it is good :hug:

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on October 07, 2015, 02:30:53 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about

You need to at least watch the Tsukihime and one of the two Fate/Stay Night anime shows.  I think Lettow has actually read both source visual novels, otherwise he won't know about the backstories of Kokaku or Sakura. 

jimmy olsen

Watched the first anime series with the University Anime Club back in the day. The President mocked it as Fate Stay in the Kitchen, and I and many others were outraged by Saber's "historical" identity. No desire to watch any of the others.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 07, 2015, 08:30:54 PM
Watched the first anime series with the University Anime Club back in the day. The President mocked it as Fate Stay in the Kitchen, and I and many others were outraged by Saber's "historical" identity. No desire to watch any of the others.

Fate Zero is superb and is the prequel story. Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works is route two of the visual novel.  You watched the Fate route (or route one).  UBW is extremely impressive visually.  What you watched is probably the weakest entry in the franchise.  But of course, Saber's identity stays the same.  I find it a bit odd, but I got over it quickly and I find her character endearing.  She frequently tops polls of most popular anime female character in Japan. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on October 07, 2015, 09:47:30 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 07, 2015, 08:30:54 PM

Fate Zero is superb and is the prequel story. Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works is route two of the visual novel.  You watched the Fate route (or route one).  UBW is extremely impressive visually.  What you watched is probably the weakest entry in the franchise.  But of course, Saber's identity stays the same.  I find it a bit odd, but I got over it quickly and I find her character endearing.  She frequently tops polls of most popular anime female character in Japan.
I will never accept it!  :mad: :mad: :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 07, 2015, 10:49:49 PM

Fine.  The way it was revealed to me was in the info dump of the first two episodes of Fate Zero.  I then watched the old Fate/Stay Night anime and found out that it was supposed to be a secret, only revealed midway of the series.  Probably a slightly bigger shock to you. 

Fate is a great series, and I think it is kinda a loss not to watch any of it because of this point.  But hey, there are plenty of great anime out there. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on October 07, 2015, 11:06:41 PM

Fine.  The way it was revealed to me was in the info dump of the first two episodes of Fate Zero.  I then watched the old Fate/Stay Night anime and found out that it was supposed to be a secret, only revealed midway of the series.  Probably a slightly bigger shock to you. 

Fate is a great series, and I think it is kinda a loss not to watch any of it because of this point.  But hey, there are plenty of great anime out there.
To a westerner it's obvious who she is supposed to be, to the point that it's never questioned, so that when it turns out that not only is she not her,  but she's actually one of the greatest western legends who it just turns out was secretly a woman :rolleyes:, its feels like a ridiculous Shamalynesque twist that they just pulled out of their ass.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 07, 2015, 11:13:51 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 07, 2015, 11:06:41 PM

To a westerner it's obvious who she is supposed to be, to the point that it's never questioned, so that when it turns out that not only is she not her,  but she's actually one of the greatest western legends who it just turns out was secretly a woman :rolleyes:, its feels like a ridiculous Shamalynesque twist that they just pulled out of their ass.

I was told within the first hour of watching Fate Zero, so I didn't go through the journey of guessing who she was.  Her identity was a shock in-story as well.  Caster (Fate/Zero) mistook her for [spoiler]Joan of Arc[/spoiler], just like you.  And Kiritsugu was suprised about her gender as well.  I guess I am not familiar with the two western legends enough to be mad about it.  But anyway, Saber's role in Fate Zero isn't as dominant as she is in the old Fate Stay Night anime.  Fate Zero is about Kiritsugu.  The UBW series focuses far more on Tohsaka Rin and Archer, and Saber takes a back seat. 

Eddie Teach

Ok, who does the show say she is?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 08, 2015, 12:31:08 AM
Ok, who does the show say she is?

[spoiler]King Arthur[/spoiler] :rolleyes:

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Sounds like something Lettow would write if he was British.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 08, 2015, 01:05:37 AM
Sounds like something Lettow would write if he was British.

[spoiler]King Arthur[/spoiler] was not a secessionist.  Maybe William Wallace instead.

Monoriu

The idea of a great warrior legend being secretly female is not unknown in other parts of Japanese culture.  Kenshin, one of the best generals in the Sengoku era, was rumoured to be a woman as well, as he never married.  In some Nobunaga's Ambition games, players could choose an option where he would appear as a she. 

Siege

Watching Aldnoah.Zero

Best anime i have seen since....Attack on Titan? Arpeggio of Blue Steel?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"