Started by Sheilbh, February 24, 2014, 07:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on February 25, 2014, 10:34:07 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2014, 10:26:41 AM
Taste is overrated? :huh:

for the most part, yeah. i realize i'm a minority here :(

Yeah, I feel sad for you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Some people don't have sense of taste. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2014, 10:35:18 AMYeah, I feel sad for you.

why?

Quote from: RazgovorySome people don't have sense of taste.  :(

it's true. sense of smell and taste for me is greatly diminished from what other people seem to experience. but it's hardly a bad thing

derspiess

You don't know what you're missing, then.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: derspiess on February 25, 2014, 11:06:02 AM
You don't know what you're missing, then.

like terrible smells! plus i can eat mediocre food without caring, which becomes handier more than one might think (especially cost-wise). it's not like i can't taste or smell at all. i know what chocolate tastes like, etc. i get the basic idea. it's not a disadvantage by any means. it's just different

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on February 25, 2014, 11:25:59 AM
it's not a disadvantage by any means. it's just different

It sure sounds like one. :(

Maximus

I don't know. Most of the time I would rather have a meal that tastes ok and is filling than one that tastes awesome and will leave me hungry in an hour.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on February 25, 2014, 11:36:03 AM
I don't know. Most of the time I would rather have a meal that tastes ok and is filling than one that tastes awesome and will leave me hungry in an hour.

Are those your primary options? :unsure:

Maximus

If I'm eating at home there's also prep time. I'd rather not spend more time preparing than eating.

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on February 25, 2014, 11:40:05 AM
If I'm eating at home there's also prep time. I'd rather not spend more time preparing than eating.

Well I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that every meal should be a culinary masterpiece. I also thing there's room between that and slugging through mediocre food on the regular.

dps

Quote from: LaCroix on February 25, 2014, 10:26:14 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 25, 2014, 10:00:18 AMI really don't think nutrition matters though.

I don't buy organic, when I do, because it's better for me but because I think it tastes better - or because it's a few pence more. It's particularly true with meat. Though also some veg, which is generally poor in London.

:huh: :weep:

but food is nothing more than calories and nutrition. taste is overrated

Eat a balanced diet in moderation, and the calories and nutrition takes care of itself.  So within those parameters, taste is the only thing left to guide your choices of what to eat.  Well, and cost.

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on February 25, 2014, 11:43:35 AMWell I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that every meal should be a culinary masterpiece. I also thing there's room between that and slugging through mediocre food on the regular.

"slugging through"

there's room for better tasting meals every now and then, but for the most part why bother? I don't hate the meals I eat, if I did I wouldn't eat them. I enjoy everything I eat. so while on an objective standard a dish might be "mediocre," to me it tastes quite good

do you see what I mean by "it's not a disadvantage, just different"