News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Asian educational achievement

Started by MadImmortalMan, February 21, 2014, 02:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I find American and European fascination with Asian educational models puzzling. It's like they've never met anyone who's gone through an Asian education system.

dps

Quote from: Monoriu on February 21, 2014, 05:54:24 PM
Funny.  We in HK marvel at western educational achievement.  It is quite obvious to us that western students are happy, confident, outgoing, and willing and able to think outside the box. 

Well, yeah, because we don't have an educational system that stresses rote learning and turns us into downbeaten, fatalistic drones, nor do employers here (in general) give a shit how you did in school.  OTOH, our educational system produces college graduates who can't figure your change when they have to settle for a job running a register at McDonalds.

Monoriu

Quote from: dps on February 21, 2014, 06:24:53 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 21, 2014, 05:54:24 PM
Funny.  We in HK marvel at western educational achievement.  It is quite obvious to us that western students are happy, confident, outgoing, and willing and able to think outside the box. 

Well, yeah, because we don't have an educational system that stresses rote learning and turns us into downbeaten, fatalistic drones, nor do employers here (in general) give a shit how you did in school.  OTOH, our educational system produces college graduates who can't figure your change when they have to settle for a job running a register at McDonalds.

I think the rote learning, faltalistic drones part is a side effect, not the goal of the East Asian education system.  The real goal of the system is selection of the best in a way that gives everybody a fair chance.  Even the sons and daughters of the poorest have a shot at joining the office worker class as long as they did well in the anonymous, centralised exams.  They may not have the connections, may not have the money for the extra-curriculars, but any kid can memorise stuff.  This is important for social cohesion.  You maybe poor, but as long as your kid can cram more facts into his head than some rich kid, he can be a doctor or a lawyer someday.  As long as he scored top grades, nobody will care about the fact that his parents are janitors. 

MadImmortalMan

Yeah you guys do that while tutoring the hell out of your kids at home to make up for it. Our method is to quickly spot any trace of potential and promise in the children and then do everything we can to squash it before it becomes threatening to the others.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 21, 2014, 06:54:09 PM
Yeah you guys do that while tutoring the hell out of your kids at home to make up for it. Our method is to quickly spot any trace of potential and promise in the children and then do everything we can to squash it before it becomes threatening to the others.  :lol:

The tutoring is not done at home.  It is done at tutoring workshops.  The real purpose of many of those workshops isn't tutoring.  It is to keep an eye on the kids while their parents toil in the offices until midnights. 

Admiral Yi

It's done at cram schools that janitors often can't afford.  At least that's the complaint voiced in Korea.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2014, 07:03:30 PM
It's done at cram schools that janitors often can't afford.  At least that's the complaint voiced in Korea.

Same complaint in HK.  But no one says you *must* have cram schools to tick the right boxes at the exams.  Rich kids will always have an advantage.  But if they are smart, the poor kids can tick the right boxes as well.

CountDeMoney

alfred russel

Quote from: Monoriu on February 21, 2014, 06:48:01 PM

I think the rote learning, faltalistic drones part is a side effect, not the goal of the East Asian education system.  The real goal of the system is selection of the best in a way that gives everybody a fair chance.  Even the sons and daughters of the poorest have a shot at joining the office worker class as long as they did well in the anonymous, centralised exams.  They may not have the connections, may not have the money for the extra-curriculars, but any kid can memorise stuff.  This is important for social cohesion.  You maybe poor, but as long as your kid can cram more facts into his head than some rich kid, he can be a doctor or a lawyer someday.  As long as he scored top grades, nobody will care about the fact that his parents are janitors.

I think I sort of went through the Asian educational model. When I first started school, I tested out as not very bright (there were three grouped dvisions--the advanced, the normal, and a special group of very slow kids. I was in the special group).

Up through middle school I had to do a bunch of math problems (usually 400 basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division problems) and read for 2 hours every day. My father would pick the reading material and quiz me on it. At points I also had a tutor. By the time I was in the 8th grade, I was testing out in the 99th percentile of a bunch of subjects and my math tutor was talking to my father about starting to teach me calculus. That is when he pulled the plug on making me do a bunch of crap every day.

My test scores after that point were always really good and I was a National Merit Scholar. I leave it to your judgment how well adjusted I turned out.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Capetan Mihali

Is that where you drew inspiration for your AR stories about hiring a tutor for your daughters?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

alfred russel

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 21, 2014, 08:35:46 PM
Is that where you drew inspiration for your AR stories about hiring a tutor for your daughters?

I think AR only had one daughter, and I don't remember a tutor. My lack of memory is why I very rarely posted much about my fake family.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Not really news in Asia.
The Korean government a year or two ago moved to crack down on the Korean version of jukus as kids were staying there late (post-midnight) and sleeping during school as a result.
It was pretty common when I worked in a high school to hear of kids studying into the wee hours and falling asleep in class as a result.

Asian education is not something to be imitated. It amplifies all the worst aspects of education in the UK. Worrying about doing better at exams is completely getting the wrong end of the problem, educaton being entirely about exams is the problem.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on February 21, 2014, 10:05:52 PM
Not really news in Asia.
The Korean government a year or two ago moved to crack down on the Korean version of jukus as kids were staying there late (post-midnight) and sleeping during school as a result.
It was pretty common when I worked in a high school to hear of kids studying into the wee hours and falling asleep in class as a result.
There are after school classes at my high school that a majority of the students attend that go until 10pm.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 21, 2014, 07:03:30 PM
I find this kind of interesting. In the 20th century the idea developed of "Any one can be succesful if they are bright and do well at exams!". Which...does kind of work in theory until this fact fully sinks in and everyone realises they have to game the system.
Traditionally in China and particularly Korea they had much the same idea in the shape of the confucian examination system. Anybody could take the exam and get a cushy job in the civil service if they passed...but in practice it was setup so that pretty much only people from wealthy families who could afford the extensive preperation could pass.
The world is becoming neo-confucianist :(
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on February 21, 2014, 10:14:55 PM
The world is becoming neo-confucianist :(

No, it's just that some of the world has never gotten Confucianism out of its system.