And we're back!

Main Menu

New York's no taxes for ten years thing

Started by MadImmortalMan, February 19, 2014, 05:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

I keep seeing these commercials for NY.

http://startup-ny.com/

They're advertising a lot on CNBC, presumably targeting that market. It's actually extraordinarily complicated to participate. You can't do it if your business is a restaurant, retail, law firm, medical or dental practice, hospitality of any kind, "personal services", administrative or support services, accounting, utilities or electricity generation.  :lol:

Plus you have to report to their board every year and maintain net new jobs or you might lose your tax free status. So I guess if you're manufacturing tractors on some empty plot of land in the Catskills, go for it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

I don't want to invest in New York. They don't want my kind there.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 19, 2014, 05:19:54 PM
So I guess if you're manufacturing tractors on some empty plot of land in the Catskills, go for it.

A lot of those tax deals are designed specifically to attract assembly/manufacturing gigs--the very type that would employ, you know, a large number of residents.

So, sorry if not offering massive tax breaks for opening up that little bistro with the Mediterranean-themed light fare and the espresso bar with only imported beans that your wife always thought would be cool to do if you could both just quit the rat race and follow your dreams doesn't fit your idea of regional economic development.

Ed Anger

My artisanal tea bags are a valuable commodity.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 19, 2014, 08:00:02 PM

I'm sure plenty of New York would be happy to have you. Ever thought about Plattsburgh?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2014, 11:04:37 PM

I'm sure plenty of New York would be happy to have you. Ever thought about Plattsburgh?

Holy crap, that is way up there.

Maple farms though.........

CountDeMoney

Personally, I always liked the area around the 81-88-90 triangle, especially down south by Cooperstown and Binghamton.  Seemed pretty quiet.

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 19, 2014, 11:11:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 19, 2014, 11:04:37 PM

Holy crap, that is way up there.

Maple farms though.........

My on my way to Montreal but not trying to cross border at 3am and get detained stopover. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Ed could never survive Upstate New York and New England.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2014, 11:19:47 PM
Personally, I always liked the area around the 81-88-90 triangle, especially down south by Cooperstown and Binghamton.  Seemed pretty quiet.

:thumbsup:  That's a very nice area.  My sister went to college in Utica (not so nice), but driving around the area, down to Cooperstown, etc. was very scenic, with a decent amount of stuff to do.

And I've been to Binghamton and Oneonta for conferences, both nice towns (though the SUNY-Oneonta campus is a bit grim).  Binghamton definitely has more going on.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 20, 2014, 08:39:18 AM

Why not, he puts up with the French.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 20, 2014, 12:50:20 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 20, 2014, 08:39:18 AM

Why not, he puts up with the French.

He complains all the time & he lives in Ohio.

Ed Anger

I like to complain. I've earned that right.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 20, 2014, 02:02:24 PM
I like to complain. I've earned that right.

No you have not. You fell into it.