News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Athabasca River

Started by Jacob, February 20, 2014, 06:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

How important is the Athabasca River in Alberta? How much do local communities rely on it for drinking water etc?

I.e., I'm wondering how big a deal this is (or is not): http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/oilsands-study-confirms-tailings-found-in-groundwater-river-1.2545089

QuoteNew federal research has confirmed that water from vast oilsands tailings ponds is leaching into groundwater and seeping into the Athabasca River.

Previous studies using models have estimated the leakage at 6.5 million litres a day from a single pond.

But the Environment Canada study used new technology to actually fingerprint the mix of groundwater chemicals in the area.

It found the mix of chemicals from tailings is different from that in naturally occurring bitumen deposits.

That tailings mix, which contains toxic chemicals, is found in groundwater around mining operations, but not in areas away from development.

It's also found in groundwater just underneath the Athabasca River.

The study, conducted under a new federal-provincial oilsands monitoring program, was accepted for publication in late January by the journal Environmental Science and Technology.

Maximus

Quote from: Jacob on February 20, 2014, 06:22:11 PM
How important is the Athabasca River in Alberta? How much do local communities rely on it for drinking water etc?

Not much until you get to Lake Athabasca I don't think. Maybe some native settlements. Still not good.

Neil

While it covers a pretty vast area of the province, I wonder which sites are contaminated, and if the contamination is even serious.  If it's up north, or the contamination is slight, I'd say it's just the cost of doing business.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Is it a big deal?  People don't drink directly from the river.  All water is thoroughly treated before use. 

Razgovory

I always thought Athabasca was a cool name.  I do remember reading that the Athabasca language is related to some in languages in the American West and possibly Siberia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Important points

1. Process chemical traces found near process locations. Not surprising, not good, but still nothing drastic.
2. Natural bitumen found everywhere. Not surprising, this is to be expected.

Don't mix up bitumen (an all natural product of nature) and process chemicals.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on February 20, 2014, 09:35:33 PM
Is it a big deal?  People don't drink directly from the river.  All water is thoroughly treated before use.

:huh:

There are creatures other than people that drink from the Athabasca River.

And by the way Ft McMurray gets its water from the Athabasca River.

It's hard to say how significant this is.  The news reports I've seen haven't said what concentratins thesechemicals are at, or what risks they might impose.

I'm generally pretty pro-development, but I certainly wouldn't just write off any environmental damage as "the cost of doing business".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on February 21, 2014, 12:00:23 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on February 20, 2014, 09:35:33 PM

:huh:

There are creatures other than people that drink from the Athabasca River.

And by the way Ft McMurray gets its water from the Athabasca River.

It's hard to say how significant this is.  The news reports I've seen haven't said what concentratins thesechemicals are at, or what risks they might impose.

I'm generally pretty pro-development, but I certainly wouldn't just write off any environmental damage as "the cost of doing business".

Agreed. There is no way of meaningfully responding without knowing how harmful the level of exposure from leaked chemicals actually is.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius