Does your "type" change based on your circumstances?

Started by MadImmortalMan, February 16, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Women tend to be more pragmatic, but most men have a "type". They like either thin or fuller figure, blonde or brunette, or even for whatever crazy unexplained phenomenon, short hair. (Sorry Ide.)

Anyway, one thing that I've noticed over my lifetime is that my type has changed. And the specific direction of the change has been closer toward the way my wife looks. Just talking physical attributes here.

When I was nineteen, I liked big thick manes of dark hair. But I married a blonde. Now, if you ask me to list the most attractive women on the planet, I will probably produce a list of people who at least a little bit resemble my wife. Delicate features, slender, blonde (I didn't actually prefer blondes before her--seriously), people like Kristin Bell, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Annely Gerritsen (do NOT google at work). I thought I was more of a Daddario dude or maybe Neve Campbell and Denise Richards. But you know what? Both of them look more like my mom!

Holy shit.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Yeah, my type has changed with my present circumstances, alright.  To "N/A".

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 16, 2014, 01:15:07 AM
Yeah, my type has changed with my present circumstances, alright.  To "N/A".

Dude, go to Japan. I'm about ready to buy your ass a ticket.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Josquius

QuoteHave you met him?  :lol:

I have.

I'm not following. He is an active anime hater and doesn't think animals are objects. Doesn't seem so Japan fitting.

Anyway. On topic a bit....you know. I think my type has changed. As I've gotten a little bit of chubbyness myself I now have far more time for women with a few extra kilograms (keyword few. Fat people can still bugger off) than I once did, downright prefer it even. Being in Japan where women with any shape are rare probably helps.
I guess that's the opposite of your situation though? My type becomes what I can't have.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Hmmm.  I don't really have a type.  My "type" is probably "whoever is dumb enough to marry me".  Surprisingly there really is somebody who belongs to that type  :lol:

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on February 16, 2014, 01:30:15 AM
Hmmm.  I don't really have a type.  My "type" is probably "whoever is dumb enough to marry me".  Surprisingly there really is somebody who belongs to that type  :lol:

In practice that's my type too. Though subtitute marry for something less drastic. :lol:
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Monoriu on February 16, 2014, 01:30:15 AM

My currently biggest problem is that there are many who fit that. We might go to Singapore soon.

Monoriu

Now that I think about it, I do have a preference for large boobs, and I don't mind overweight women.  My wife is pretty special because she is considered as obese as me.  Most HK women tend to be small and very thin.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

I'd say I've gravitated far more toward white women lately, probably as a result of the population of Columbia being around .1% Asian, and the sea change in the Asian-American community over the past half decade that has seen Asian-American women realizing that they're basically everyone's ideal type, thus throwing off the playground taunts that white girls once used to keep them down, and valuing themselves accordingly.*

*Sociological analysis based on faint anecdotal evidence and vast amounts of supposition.

P.S. I've also become less hardline on the weight thing, a lot less so.  Fat is still gross, but at 31, in America, in 2014, one has to accept reality.  (Also, like Tyr, I'm not nearly as thin as I used to be either.  Haven't cracked the 160s in about a year. <_< )
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

I think it's a bit more complicated than some replies in this thread would suggest.  For example, there's no doubt that my "type" is a curvy girl with big boobs.  However, my first serious girlfriend didn't fit that type.  She had a great ass, but was kind of flat-chested.  It's not that my type has changed since then, either because of changing circumstances or simply the passage of time, it's that I wasn't interested in a "type";  I was interested in her.

Barrister

To answer MIM's original question, more than a few times I've noticed an attractive girl (in a happily married-just looking kind of way) only to realize that girl resembles my wife in more than a few ways.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?